Old 15-08-2004, 02:46 AM
Frank Rittwager

Default Paph Leaf Problem

Can anyone take a guess at what this leaf problem is? I have numerous Paphs
of several kinds (species, primaries, and novelties), and they all seem to
get this type of spot on various leaves on a regular basis. When I cut off
the end of the leaf, the problem seems to stop spreading for a couple of
months, and then the leaf starts to die (becomes dark brown) again (starting
at the end of the leaf). Is this just natural?

http://216.160.131.65/LeafSpot1.jpg
http://216.160.131.65/LeafSpot2.jpg

Environmental Details:
Grown In: Medium Sized Coconut Husk
Plant Food: "Grow More" Urea Free 20-10-20
Watering Schedule: Every 4-5 days
Temperatu ~75 degrees F.
Lights: Natural and 4 Foot Cool-Warm Bulb (Mixed)

Please let me know if I can supply any more details or additional photos...

Thanks for any information or opinions!!!!
Frank

Old 15-08-2004, 04:09 PM
Ray

Frank,

I really cannot be of any help other than to say that while that probably
isn't "natural," it sure is common. I used to see it fairly frequently,
and other than being bothersome, it really doesn't seem to affect flowering
or putting out new growths.

I haven't seen that in a while on my paphs, but I cannot say why that might
be. I do grow them all in semi-hydroponics, so maybe it's the fact that
they get a more-or-less constant food and water supply is part of the
question, but I also have been more diligent about the use of disinfectants
and neem oil as a preventive measure.

I doubt that it's nutritional, as that usually expresses itself either by
chlorosis or by leaf tip browning. At what concentration do you feed and
how often? I suppose it could be bacterial or fungal in nature, or insect
damage, but the fact that it affects all of your plants suggests that it's
not bugs.

..

Old 15-08-2004, 07:09 PM
V_coerulea

You don't mention if the browning area is firm or soft. How rapid does the
spot spread? Have you tried any treatments, physiological or chemical
besides cutting off the spot? You say it's on various leaves. Are they
usually the bottom ones? Do the same plants get spots again in the same
areas (lower, medium or new leaves)? Have any of your plants died from this?
It certainly does not appear to be "natural" meaning normal. And I doubt
it's nutritional or more leavs would be affected on each plant. It certainly
looks like it could be fungal or bacterial. I also resembles sunburn if a
drop or two of water or fertilizer was on the leaf and got some sun coming
in the window. But I'd go with the former especially if the brown is soft
and waterlogged. Try cutting off the affected area and soaking the cut end
in Physan for 10-15 min and then treating with sulfur or cinnamon. I had a
St Swithin that lost several leaves to Erwinia (Brown rot) and I'm sure
would have died. In desperation, I knocked the plant out of the pot, shook
off all the medium, and soaked the whole plant in Physan for 20 min. I still
have that plant today and it's big and beautiful.
Good Luck
Gary

Old 15-08-2004, 08:20 PM
Frank Rittwager

Ray, thanks for the feedback.

I feed them with a 1/4 strength solution four times as often as the
instructions advise (so they get a weaker dose, but more often).

I agree with you, I don't believe it is bugs. The plants are indoors in a
clean area, and I have never spotted of the usual pests.

At this point, I am leaning towards believing that the cause is some kind of
infection, mainly for lack of any other idea...

Thanks again,
Frank

.

Old 15-08-2004, 08:35 PM
Frank Rittwager

Good questions Gary,

The browning area is firm (kind of leathery).

The spot will spread rapidly, you can see a change everyday.

No, I have not tried any treatment yet. I will probably try a fungicide
real soon, but I have been hesitant, because (being indoors) the humidity
level is not high (about 50%) and I really have not experienced any other
types of fungus problems (even the coconut husk is not moldy).

It seems to hit the leaves at random. Sometimes it gets the lower leaves,
but not always.

I have had a few seedlings die from this, mostly because they are so small.

I agree with you, I am beginning to believe that it is an infection
(probably a fungus, because of the lack of "mushiness").

Thanks,
Frank

Old 15-08-2004, 11:02 PM
Kenni Judd

I can't tell exactly what the problem is -- some kind of fungus. My best
suggestions a 1) Cut with a bigger margin into healthy tissue next
time. 2) Coat the cut edge with cinnamon, or a stronger fungicide paste,
immediately after cutting.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Old 16-08-2004, 04:03 PM
Wendy

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 17:09:37 GMT, V_coerulea wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info Gary, I just noticed the same problem
with my St. Swithin.(still in bloom) A rapid browning, a whole leaf in a
day!!!
Have it unpotted & soaking in Physan as we speak.
Cheers Wendy

Old 16-08-2004, 06:18 PM
V_coerulea

"Wendy" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Wow! A whole leaf in a day! I'd definaately guess brown rot which can become
systemic. I don't know how long it takes or what conditions are necessary
for the systemic mode of infection. But once it happens, supposedly the
plant is a goner. I don't know if a Physan soak can cure that or not. Old
Physan instructions say it can which is why I tried it originally but I
can't swear that my St Swithin was infected systemically by erwinia spp
since I didn't have anything tested. I do know it worked and I still have
the plant in a healthy condition. Good luck with yours.
Gary