Old 18-08-2004, 12:27 AM
Registered User

Location: Auckland New Zealand
Default Brassia verrucosa

Help needed. My Brassia leaves are turning yellow, and I am not sure why this is happening. Different articles say different things such as too much light, or too little light. I am finding this a little confusing, and wonder if someone could advise me as to the best conditions for the growth of this orchid.
Thanks
Matt
Old 18-08-2004, 02:06 AM
K Barrett

Check your roots. Plants lose leaves (ie leaves turn yellow, die and
eventually drop off ) because their roots are dead.

IMHO Brassias like to be pot bound, so use a pot that will just barely hold
whatever root ball remains after you've cut off the rotted mushy ones. IMHO
they like plastic pots rather than clay ones, but YMMV.

In my hands they are treated just like any other orchid: kept evenly moist,
at temperatures no lower that 55F at night or 85F day. They prefer bright
light, as for Cattleyas. But if you have no experience with those then
they'd like light that would cast an indistinct shadow when you hold your
hand over the area in which you'd be growing them (I hope that makes
sense... there's a concept in there somewhere, LOL!!)

Some folks say they need a dry winter's rest, but really what they want is
not to get soggy in winter when evaporation is reduced because its wetter
and colder then.

Fertilize them with any fertilizer, just use 1/2 strength of what's on the
biottle and voila, you are in!

Blooms next year!

Kath

--
NZMatt

Old 18-08-2004, 05:01 AM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 01:06:53 GMT, "K Barrett"
wrote:

[...]

I think you meant a distinct shadow. No lack or indistinct
shadow from you hand.

I grow mine in brighter light than they should have, I have them
with the Ascda. So sometimes they get rather light green leaves,
OK so they are as green as the new "Green Fire Engines" = yellow.
It is a case of too much sun even with a good diet, Colorado sun
is sometimes too much of a good thing. Unless they start
shedding leaves, I would just move them to a slightly more shady
spot. In my case it is a couple feet further from the south end
of the gh.

They can take full Catt. light.

They can also bloom with much less light. I have seen them
blooming with rich green leaves. It is up to you and how you can
control the light they get.
SuE
Old 18-08-2004, 05:01 AM
Susan Erickson

wrote:

[...]

Coelogyne verrucosa P Max Orchid Photos 0 21-05-2007 06:55 AM
Brassia observation Robert Dickow Orchids 0 07-09-2003 04:45 AM
Brassia question Alison Orchids 1 06-08-2003 04:12 AM
Brassia Paulo Orchids 2 07-05-2003 02:20 AM
Largest Brassia species? Pete Orchids 7 21-03-2003 06:20 PM