Old 23-08-2004, 09:58 PM
Diana Kulaga

If I'm not mistaken, a wire won't do the trick. It needs to be a strip
wide
enough that the entire body must pass over it at once to be effective.

I'd rather just kill them, though...

We bought copper flashing at HD today. I'd rather kill them, too, but I
don't want to find out I have them by waking up to shredded leaves or
partially eaten flowers! So we're going the two pronged way: bait and
copper.

Diana

Old 23-08-2004, 10:22 PM
Rob Halgren

Diana Kulaga wrote:

We bought copper flashing at HD today. I'd rather kill them, too, but I
don't want to find out I have them by waking up to shredded leaves or
partially eaten flowers! So we're going the two pronged way: bait and
copper.

Take it one step beyond. Plug the copper into the wall socket.
Then you can have bait _and_ switch... *grin*

I've heard of (but haven't seen) people putting the legs of their
benches in buckets filled with water. Slugs can't swim... Seems like
this would be detrimental to the longevity of the benches, but I suppose
you could figure something out.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open - e-mail me for a list )
Old 23-08-2004, 11:30 PM
Diana Kulaga

Take it one step beyond. Plug the copper into the wall socket. Then you
can have bait _and_ switch... *grin*

Aaaarrrrggh! Groan! LOL!

Diana

Old 24-08-2004, 12:07 AM
Diana Kulaga

I have one more question. I like to know why I'm doing what I do. So,
relative to what you said, Ray, does the copper kill the snail or otherwise
disable it? I thought it was used as a deterrent, something the creeps
wouldn't cross. Is that right, or is it something more?

Also, about laying the copper flashing: Frank was going to put down a 2"
border around the edges of the benches, and wrap the legs. Is that the
right way to go about it?

Thanks so much for all the info.

Diana

Old 24-08-2004, 02:38 PM
Pat Brennan

The best weapon against slugs I know of is liquid metaldehyde. Same active
ingredient as most of the baits, but nothing left for the pets or to mold in
the pot. I also find it works much better at getting the slugs that are
living at the bottom of the pot then bait will. It is hard to find and a
google search will find 50 UK sources every source in the US. When
comparing prices it seems that UK products are 20% metaldehyde while the US
products are 25%. It used to be cheaper to order from the UK, but the weak
dollar has changed that. Many growers use it in combination with sevin.

Pat

ink.net...

Old 24-08-2004, 11:12 PM
Diana Kulaga

Thanks, Pat.

Diana

Old 24-08-2004, 11:12 PM
Diana Kulaga

Thanks, Pat.

Diana

Old 25-08-2004, 11:21 PM
orchids3

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message hlink.net...
Thanks, Pat.

Diana

Hi
My first post on this Forum - Hello everyone.
I dont use mataldahyde because it gives me a serious itch
that lasts for months. I have used SLUGGO. Sluggo uses
Iron phosphate to kill the slugs and snails and that component
actually turns to a beneficial fertilizer when the stuff decays
but what is the slimy stuff that forms around the pellets?Is
it the Iron phosphate or something else they are useing to attract
snails to eat it. I dont like the appearance of the stuff but it
sure seems to work. Have found Brown Millipedes on top of my
potting medium (about 3 inches long - round brown bodies)which
also seem to be dead but I pull them out and put 250 pounds
thru my shoeon them to be sure - has anyone else found these
things in their pots? By the way WAL-MART has an Iron Phosphate
type bait at a much lower cost than Sluggo - neither of the baits
will harm pets or birds.

Old 26-08-2004, 11:14 PM
Diana Kulaga

Welcome! Glad you are posting. I will wait for someone else to address the
iron phosphate question, since I really don't know.

Thanks for the response.

Diana

Old 30-08-2004, 01:41 PM
Orchidguy

Uggg....this is the absolute worst year here in Fl for snail ...millions of
them everywhere, I think I'm somwhat getting them under control...
Good luck
Todd
"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
hlink.net...
All,

'Tis the summer of the escargots! Big, fat snails hiding in the pots, on
the benches, etc, and doing their evil night work.

I've been using Garden Safe Slug and Snail Bait by Schultz, and it does

work
(I've been throwing out dead snails). I chose this product because Casper
the cat goes out in the lanai and it's safe for him. But the pellets
degrade in water, and end up a soggy, moldy mess. This eventually
disappears, but it's still mold, and going into the pots.

It seems to me that I remember copper being an effective snail/slug
deterent. So, if I wrap copper wire around the edges and legs of the
benches, and around the hanging bars, will that help?

TIA

Diana

Old 30-08-2004, 10:06 PM
Clanorchid

Hi,

this is the absolute worst year here in Fl for snail ...millions of
them everywhere, I think I'm somwhat getting them under control...

Been in RGO, since 1995. Posted maybe five times, now 7 posts in two days.

Coffee mixture in your water.

Never could figure out the 2% concentration.(remember, I'm a graduate of Fl
schools-have to take my shoes off to count above 12 +GRIN+). We just dump the
remainder of morning coffee (probably 2-3 cups) in the 55 gallon barrel from
which we run our watering/fertilizing/fungicide. Haven't seen a snail in a
year. Plants seem more wide awake, too. LOL.

Caffeine can repel or kill snails that might otherwise eat and ruin plants,

Agricultural Research Service scientists report in the June 27, 2002 issue of
the scientific journal Nature.

In preliminary experiments at his research greenhouse in Hilo, Hollingsworth

applied a 2 percent solution of caffeine in water as a spray to the coconut
husk-chips material in which orchids are grown. This growth medium, called
coir, was infested with the tiny snails. The scientists found that the caffeine
spray killed up to 95 percent of the snails.

In another experiment, the researchers showed that growth medium treated

with the 2 percent caffeine solution had only 5 snails, when checked 30 days
after the spray was applied. That's in contrast to the 35 snails that they
found in growth medium that had been treated with a standard dose of
metaldehyde, a common molluscicide.

Hope This May Help Someone,

Karen and Jerry

Camp Lot A Noise Tropicals (C. L. A. N.) http://www.clanorchids.com
Orchid Species, Hybrids, Supplies, Photos and Books
Chat (941) 352-2483 Fax: (941) 351-2483 X 123 Order Only 1-800-351-CITE

Tip for defeating herons GaryCam Ponds 2 28-06-2005 06:02 PM
Snails good? or Snails bad? John Freshwater Aquaria Plants 11 11-12-2004 09:50 PM
Snails - Benifit or Pest?////Zebra Snails hurdy gurdy Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 27-08-2003 08:04 PM
Good snails/ Bad snails/ controll Henry Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 20-04-2003 07:25 AM
Good snails/ Bad snails/ controll Henry Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 15-03-2003 09:20 PM