Old 21-08-2004, 10:06 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default Defeating Snails...

All,

'Tis the summer of the escargots! Big, fat snails hiding in the pots, on
the benches, etc, and doing their evil night work.

I've been using Garden Safe Slug and Snail Bait by Schultz, and it does work
(I've been throwing out dead snails). I chose this product because Casper
the cat goes out in the lanai and it's safe for him. But the pellets
degrade in water, and end up a soggy, moldy mess. This eventually
disappears, but it's still mold, and going into the pots.

It seems to me that I remember copper being an effective snail/slug
deterent. So, if I wrap copper wire around the edges and legs of the
benches, and around the hanging bars, will that help?

TIA

Diana

Old 22-08-2004, 02:19 AM
Gene Schurg

Diana,

I doubt this will help you but for others it may....TOADS!

I have lots of toads everywhere. They laid eggs in the small pond in the
back and now I have baby toads everywhere. I have big fat toads all over
the property. I have three or four that live in the greenhouse.

I don't have any slugs. Toads love to eat slugs.

If you can keep the cat from playing with the toads then when you see one
outside scoop it up and put it with your plants on the lanai.

Good Growing,
Gene

hlink.net...

Old 22-08-2004, 08:34 AM
Weeble

What you need is some copper fashing a couple of inches wide. It's pretty
soft and easy to cut. They also make a copper snail barrier but I don't
know what it's called.

Shell

Old 22-08-2004, 04:40 PM
Susan Erickson

Don't forget the old beer trick. You can also make a trap that
they enter and that protects the bait from the water to some
extent.

Cut the top off a soda bottle down in the full size area. Turn
it inside out - so the open top goes into the bottle. Staple the
cut edges together and you have a plastic trap that holds the
bait out of the way of most water.

The beer trick is easier. - Just put out a saucer of beer. Cover
it or leave it uncovered. They love beer climb in it readily.

For traps you can also leave a citrus rind upside down on a
bench. They will climb up into it to spend the day. Early
morning discard should help thin the crop.

Good luck.

SuE

Old 22-08-2004, 06:46 PM
Weeble

I've heard grape juice works too. We were infested in the front yard and I
found Sluggo worked great. Had to apply it twice and will probably apply it
one more time but I haven't seen any snails in awhile

Shell

Old 22-08-2004, 09:16 PM
Diana Kulaga

Oh, we have little toads, Gene! I find them in the orchids all the time.
And Casper would "play" with them, for sure. Happily, he hasn't caught any.
We've got tons of geckos out there, too. Those, he does catch, although he
doesn't try to kill them. He wants to play.

Diana

Old 22-08-2004, 09:23 PM
Diana Kulaga

Thanks, Sue and Shell. I think we'll take an all-out-war approach and do
the bait trap, copper, and beer, along with more bait in the pots, until I
feel rid of them.

Dirty rotten scoundrels!

Diana

Old 22-08-2004, 10:17 PM
Susan Erickson

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 20:23:26 GMT, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

Thanks, Sue and Shell. I think we'll take an all-out-war approach and do
the bait trap, copper, and beer, along with more bait in the pots, until I
feel rid of them.

Dirty rotten scoundrels!

Diana

Don't forget - If you pick any up toss them out hole. If you
squash them they self fertilize the eggs and you are now the
carrier planting snail eggs on every plant you touch. Big snails
or little.

My question is how do the little bush snails get into vandas
hanging over head? I found 3 of the little guys today.
SuE

Old 23-08-2004, 12:38 AM
profpam

Diana,

Try a product such as THAT'S IT, which doesn't leave a soggy mess and crown rot
in some orchids.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Old 23-08-2004, 02:18 AM
mg

I tried the copper wire thing for slugs. Basically took a wire around
the perimeter boards of a raised garden bed. Didn't do a thing to deter
the slugs. I went back to the Bait.

Old 23-08-2004, 10:42 AM
Ray

If I'm not mistaken, a wire won't do the trick. It needs to be a strip wide
enough that the entire body must pass over it at once to be effective.

I'd rather just kill them, though...

..

Old 23-08-2004, 08:52 PM
Diana Kulaga

My question is how do the little bush snails get into vandas
hanging over head? I found 3 of the little guys today.
SuE

I guess they climb, since I find them in overhead stuff as well.

Diana

Old 23-08-2004, 08:53 PM
Diana Kulaga

Try a product such as THAT'S IT, which doesn't leave a soggy mess and
crown rot
in some orchids.

Haven't heard of that, but I'll check it out. Thanks, Pam.

Diana

Tip for defeating herons GaryCam Ponds 2 28-06-2005 05:02 PM
Snails good? or Snails bad? John Freshwater Aquaria Plants 11 11-12-2004 08:50 PM
Snails - Benifit or Pest?////Zebra Snails hurdy gurdy Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 27-08-2003 07:04 PM
Good snails/ Bad snails/ controll Henry Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 20-04-2003 06:25 AM
Good snails/ Bad snails/ controll Henry Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 15-03-2003 08:20 PM