Old 24-08-2004, 03:43 PM
Al

My golly, that's the truth. Of course, until the yearly repotting chore
takes a full month or more, you had better not be heard complaining about it
in my earshot. ;-D. I have been repotting Phals for a solid month and
still have a month more work. I have orchid bark splinters and I am sure I
am developing sporotricosis (?) from the moss. Each year I promise myself I
will start this project earlier so i am done by the end of august but each
year I always find myself working like a madman to get done before they
start spiking. The weather has been cool here for about three weeks and I
am seeing a lot of early spiking.

The orchid demon stands behind me with a whip and laughs as I trudge through
the repotting chores that I alone, in my orchid addiction, am responsible
for creating.

And at least twice a week I have people calling me up who are going on
vacation, (Vacation!) and want me to board their plants while they are away
and think I could also repot them while they are here. Like my greenhouse
is a spa for well-to-do plants or something. I think people like this
should not be allowed to own orchids. ;-) It makes the orchid demon plot
revenge. And, if I am going to take care of it, it should be mine. But
seriously, there are potential customers out there for this service for
vendors who think they can handle the pressure.

And if I paid somebody to repot, I would have to stand there and watch them
do it to make sure they did it right.

(Next time you come by Joanna, you will have to talk to me about .asp for my
website. I have a mysql database and php something but I can't figure out
how to connect the website/pages to it or use it in any real way. I am
working to complete a miva merchant changeover and redesigning the ancient
site but html without any bells and whistles is about all my brain can
comprehend long enough to make a website do anything. And then there is
this never ending repotting chore to deal with and splinters in my typing
fingers.)

"Mick Fournier" wrote in message
Joanna,

Until you do the repotting with your own hands you will never conquer the
orchid demon.

Mick

Old 24-08-2004, 04:57 PM
Susan Erickson

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 17:06:26 -0700, profpam
wrote:

It would certainly be a trick to repot without hands. Gloves are even too
cumbersome for me. Best to repot when the plant is in need of repotting
rather than waiting. Pot larger if roots are in the out-growing mode; pot
smaller when roots are few and the plant is not doing well.

. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

I find that I get slivers from the potting mix and small cuts if
I don't wear gloves. Either kitchen rubber gloves or the craft
gloves work well. I can not use gardening gloves.
SuE

Old 24-08-2004, 05:05 PM
wendy7

Al wrote:-
"The orchid demon stands behind me with a whip and laughs as I trudge
through the repotting chores that I alone, in my orchid addiction, am
responsible for creating".

Too true indeed Al, but seems like we are all in the same
boat but on different levels, as far as the number of plants?
I am so far behind with my repotting it's getting out of hand &
would be broke if I had to get help!
But all in all, this doesn't seem to be a bother when we
go shopping! *g*

--
Cheers Wendy
Ps....Take care of those hands, they are the only pair you have!

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 24-08-2004, 05:06 PM
Susan Erickson

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:56:19 -0400, Rob Halgren
wrote:

. I took a cymbidium in a 12"
pot in for them to do for me when I was first starting out. It was more
than I could handle. I think they used a hacksaw... More than I want to
handle now, frankly.

You need a jungle Machete for that. That and a good strong
wrist.. W H A C K. Best way to split an over grown cym. Let
the back bulbs fall where they may.

SuE

Old 24-08-2004, 07:16 PM
Mick Fournier

All,

See... the Orchid Demon does really exist. And in another two or three
years Al will have conquered him (or her)... and then he can take his
vacation.

Mick

Old 25-08-2004, 02:51 AM
mg

Clearly you guys gotta get better at killing your plants. I've found it
a great alternative to repotting. I can give lessons if anyone's
interested. Let's see, Overwatering 101, ...

Old 25-08-2004, 03:27 AM
J Fortuna

"mg" wrote in message ...
Clearly you guys gotta get better at killing your plants. I've found it
a great alternative to repotting. I can give lessons if anyone's
interested. Let's see, Overwatering 101, ...

Not in my thread you won't! I would even be willing to repot more orchids
myself if the only alternative was killing a single one. Sue said in her
response to me that "You have so few that you worry over them like a mother
hen." Well, that may well be true, I do worry at any sign of anything being
wrong with my orchids and try to counter-act it as best as I can, but as a
result it's been 3 years or even almost 3.5 years that I have been into
orchids, and I have not killed a single one yet. And one of those two that I
was repotting, it was because it's not doing so well, loosing leaves more
rapidly than gaining them, but it's got healthy roots, and now it's in a
bark mix instead of in moss and it's standing by a different window, and I
will be watching it to make sure it gets better because I can't break the 0
orchids killed rule. Just can't. Won't happen.

Joanna

Old 25-08-2004, 04:28 AM
K Barrett

"J Fortuna" wrote in message

[snip], and I
will be watching it to make sure it gets better because I can't break the

0
orchids killed rule. Just can't. Won't happen.

Joanna

There she goes! She's done it now!! If the orchid demons won't get her the
orchid gods sure will. Oh tempter of fate!

K Barrett