Old 24-08-2004, 06:14 AM
HFX guy

Default Moving Orchids Outdoors

Hi All,
So as a Newbie Orchid Enthusiast I have many questions. One of the ones
that keeps on bothering me relates to varying the temperature at night for
the orchids. I am tempted to moving all of the orchids outdoors so that
they get the maximum difference in temperature between night and day and not
to mention maximal light. But my biggest concern are the bugs that are out
there. How does one go about keeping the bugs (and birds - I have way too
many "visitors" on my balcony) away from your plants? Any suggestions will
be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Horace

Old 24-08-2004, 11:01 AM
Ray

First of all, not all plants benefit from a day-night temperature drop, so
depending on what you're growing, it might not be an issue. The same is
true of high light levels, but if you're sure about that, move them
gradually into higher light, or you could be setting them up for significant
damage.

Having said that, probably the best way to keep critters at bay - short of
an enclosure - is the spray periodically with neem oil. It is an
"anti-feedant" akin to a true repellant - it tastes bad to bugs.

However, if your plants are near a window, leaving it open might be
sufficient. (I'm guessing you have screens, of course.)

..

Old 24-08-2004, 06:58 PM
dd

First of all, where do you live? Make sure that if you live in a
cold-winter climate, that you bring in any orchids before the night
temperatures get too cold.

I live in New England and summer about 50-60 of my orchids outdoors, on
a three-tier plant stand, on the east side of my house, against the
house, on a bed of crushed rock. Here's what I know about growing
outdoors:

Morning sun is okay in Northern areas, but provide shade from about 11
AM through afternoon, or your plants' leaves will burn. (If you are in
Florida, you'll want to shade your plants earlier in the day.) Also,
provide complete shade at first, so going outside isn't too much of a
shock for the plants. Then gradually increase the light that they
recieve. If your balcony gets a lot of sun, move small potted trees in
front of your orchids to filter the light. Also look at what is around
your plants--glass, metal, etc., to make sure that it isn't going to
reflect a lot of heat back on your plants.

Birds have NEVER bothered my orchids, and I have goldfinch feeders all
over the place. Also note that it is the nature of birds to eat
insects, not orchids. Squirrels, woodchucks, mice, and rabbits can,
however, be a big problem--fox urine (garden stores sell it) keeps them
away.

Insects are not much of a problem for the outdoor orchids--I have more
problem with insects on the indoor plants. If you have insect problems,
spray them every three days in the very early morning with a mix of
rubbing alcohol and a few drops of insecticidal soap until the insects
go away. You could also use a commercial orchid pesticide. Because I
grow my orchids in PrimeAgra, I do not have a problem with pests in the
media; I flush the media completely every week.

If you're growing your orchids on a balcony, you probably won't have a
problem with slugs.

Some plants like being outdoors more than others. I don't put Phals
outdoors because rain and morning dew collects in their crowns and they
die of crown rot. Young plants, especially Cattleyas, do not seem to
like going outdoors as well as mature plants do. Some of the plants
that do very well outdoors for me include Dendrobiums, Oncidiums,
Epidendrums, and Brassias--basically, the weedy-looking stuff. I also
have Cattleyas outdoors, and they do well, but they are not as
sun-tolerant as the other plants, and their leaves tend to sunburn
(Brassavola crosses are less likely to sunburn, don't know why.) I have
just one Vanda outdoors, and it is doing okay but it did have a touch
of brown spot after several days of heavy rains.

Plants that are outdoors in the summer require a LOT MORE water. Check
them daily, especially if it gets hot and dry.

It might be a good idea to join a local orchid society and ask members
what month they move their orchids outside and when they bring them
back in. (You also might score some free plants.)

Good luck.

Old 24-08-2004, 10:19 PM
Diana Kulaga

Hi, Horace, and welcome. Where are you, and what kind of orchids do you
have? That information will enable the group to provide information.

Diana

Old 24-08-2004, 10:19 PM
Diana Kulaga

Old 24-08-2004, 10:27 PM
profpam

Unless you are near or south of the equator, it seems the wrong time of year
to move orchids outdoors. I would await April or May and slowly move them.
Those that need a cold spell to set spikes can be placed outside in the
evening if you know for sure the temperature is not going to get below 50
degrees.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Old 25-08-2004, 12:31 AM
wendy7

Hello Horace, You have come to the right place & I see you
already have excellant advice.
My first thought, do you have any plants out on your balcony?
If so check under the pots for slugs, they love to hide there.
Use "Thats It" for slugs & snails.
Once you have figured out what plants can tolerate the outdoors,
spray with Neem Oil, bugs don't like it, even grasshoppers!
Also be sure to check the sun's rays at different times of the day,
especially in summer.
I am growing a friends collection outside under shadecloth & they
are doing remarkably well, better that most of the Catts in my g/h!
Good luck.

--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 25-08-2004, 03:25 AM
K Barrett

Name one orchid that doesn't want at least a 10 degree change in day/night
temps in order to flower.

K Barrett

.

Old 25-08-2004, 10:36 AM
Ray

Pick almost any yellow phalaenopsis hybrid, or ascocenda.

I have a Phal. bellina that started spiking for the first time this summer,
and it sure as hell didn't get any such treatment.

How about zygos? Mine always seem to bloom best in the middle of summer,
too.

..

Old 25-08-2004, 02:54 PM
Myrmecodia

"K Barrett" wrote in message news:kMSWc.39230$9d6.6767@attbi_s54...
Name one orchid that doesn't want at least a 10 degree change in day/night
temps in order to flower.

Want or need? Off the top of my head...

Phalaenopsis bellina and P. violacea
Chiloschista lunifera
Psychopsis papilio
Oncidium Gower Ramsey
Cattleya walkeriana
Paphiopedilum (various mottled leaf species)
Polystachya pubescens
Polystachya vulcanica
Brassia verrucosa
Dendrobium antennatum
Cirrhopetalum curtisii
Sophronitis cernua
Neostylis Lou Sneary
Stenoglottis fimbriata

All bloomed reliably for me under lights without a significant
temperature drop at night. I'd suggest that the majority of lowland
tropical orchids do not require a temperature drop to initiate
blooming. Blooming could be triggered by a variety of stimuli:
increased light simulating defoliation of deciduous trees in the dry
season, reduction in watering, subtle changes in day length, or simply
maturation of the newest growth.

Plants from monsoonal climates are probably more likely to bloom in
response to cooling. Some orchids do bloom reliably after a sudden
drop in temperature (Dendrobium crumenatum, for example), and
certainly a temperature drop in the autumn may help others
(cymbidiums, hybrid phals) to spike, but there are lots that don't
require it. Since cooler temperatures in the autumn usually come
bundled with shorter days and reduced fertilizing, I think its unclear
exactly what the plants are responding too.

Orchids that are CAM plants may require a temperature drop for
efficient photosynthesis, and highland tropical plants will want
cooler temperatures at night. But those are daily, not seasonal,
requirements and are not directly linked to initiation of blooming.

Nick