Old 25-08-2004, 10:05 PM
janet_a

Default indoor growers--check your electrical stuff *now*

Pot grower faces murder charges for firefighter deaths

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (AP) -- A house blaze that killed two
firefighters started in a tangle of wires and lamps that were
installed to grow marijuana in a basement closet, authorities said.

The man who police say was responsible for the drug operation was
charged with third-degree murder.

Fire Capt. John Taylor, 53, and firefighter Rey Rubio, 42, died Friday
when they were trapped by quick-moving flames while trying to find the
source of the fire.

Fire officials said the fire started in the wiring set up to run the
lamps and fans used to nurture the plants, and spread more quickly
because the hot lights had dried out the wood in the closet.

In addition to murder, Daniel Brough, 35, faces charges of marijuana
possession, involuntary manslaughter and causing a catastrophe.

Philadelphia District Attorney Lynne Abraham called Brough "reckless,"
"foolish" and "greedy."

Taylor, a 32-year veteran of the department, and Rubio, who had been
fighting fires for 12 years, appeared to have died of smoke
inhalation, officials said.

--cnn 8/25/04

--j_a
Old 25-08-2004, 11:13 PM
Rob Halgren

janet_a wrote:

Pot grower faces murder charges for firefighter deaths

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (AP) -- A house blaze that killed two
firefighters started in a tangle of wires and lamps that were
installed to grow marijuana in a basement closet, authorities said.

Never wire a plant room while high, I think is the practical
message... In all seriousness, if you aren't sure how to calculate your
electrical loads, and properly size and install your wiring, hire an
electrician. Extension cord piles that look like pasta just aren't
safe. It is just common sense, and it really isn't that expensive.
I've been wiring all sorts of rooms for years (garages, kitchens,
basements, plant rooms), but I still defer to the experts whenever I
have the slightest question about what I'm doing.

Of course I have had electricians (and plumbers) look more than a
little curiously at my requirements. I usually have to take them on a
tour of the plant room to convince them that either a) I need a service
panel twice as big as normal, or b) yes, I know you could grow illegal
plants under these lights, thanks for the heads up.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open - e-mail me for a list )

Old 25-08-2004, 11:31 PM
John Mallery

Keep in mind that if your grow room has windows and your lights are on after
dark, chances are you will eventually be visited by a curious member of law
enforcement. That luminous glow coming from a basement window is a "red
flag" for narcotics officers. If you question how prevalent indoor "pot"
growing is pick up a copy of "High Times" or check out the DVD "Ready, Set,
Grow," http://tinyurl.com/6b2lg, which explains how to set up a grow room. I
wonder if there is anything on the DVD that could benefit orchid growers...

Anyway, proper wiring in a plant room is critical. I always use an
electrician and insist on GFI outlets in my plant room.

John