GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pollination Question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/82671-pollination-question.html)

Xi Wang 31-08-2004 01:06 AM

Pollination Question

Hi group,

Just a quick question, more out of curiosity than anything else. I know
that if I pollinate an orchid, the flower shrivels up within a few days
in prep. for growing a seed pod. However, if I take away the pollen
grains, but don't actually put any pollen in the flower, will the flower
still shrivel up?

Cheers,
Xi

GrlIntrpted 31-08-2004 02:17 AM

"Xi Wang" wrote in message
Hi group,

Just a quick question, more out of curiosity than anything else. I know
that if I pollinate an orchid, the flower shrivels up within a few days
in prep. for growing a seed pod. However, if I take away the pollen
grains, but don't actually put any pollen in the flower, will the flower
still shrivel up?

In my experience, they do. I experimented with Phals as well as Paphs, I
don't know about other species.

Mariana
--
'Not all who wander are lost.'
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Mick Fournier 31-08-2004 07:00 AM

Xi,

Yes.

Mick