Old 03-09-2004, 12:11 AM
Diana Kulaga

Default Clap Hands, Here Comes Francis-Hurricane Report

Okey dokey, kids, here we go. Unless this storm does some major
calisthenics, we're going to get whacked.

Storm panels are up here at Frank and Di's. All plants from the lanai
extension are on the (shuttered) patio. Vandas come in tomorrow AM, after
they get watered. Most folks in our area are panelled up, as are many, if
not most, small businesses. I was at Publix (supermarket) yesterday, and
it's amazing what people stock up on! Bottled water was available.
Batteries were available. But the wine and beer aisle was decimated!
Southern priorities, don't ya know.

And we have the first casualty of the storm, right here in the Kulaga
household. I am typing with 8 fingers instead of 10. When Frank put down
the last piece of channel (which holds the storm panels) this afternoon on
the patio, he made a big deal of reminding me that it was there. After
which I promptly tripped over it, sending pots of herbs flying through the
air and terrifying Casper the Wonder Cat. I looked like a deadly auto
accident when I got up, knees skinned, shins bloody, and my right pinky
doing some curly bended kind of stuff.

We went to the E.R. eventually, since all the private MD's have gone to
ground. After an hour, I was able to determine that it might be 6 more
hours before someone might put a splint on my broken paw. We came home, and
Frank taped two of my fingers together and informed me that I am not
permitted to cross that piece of metal again. Oh, sure, telling me not to
do something really works! I went out and did a back and forth dance on the
stupid thing.

By the way, we stopped at the packie on the way home. Wish us all luck down
here in FL.

Diana

Old 03-09-2004, 12:50 AM
doug houseman

May the storm gods curve that storm back to sea and may it never see
land.

Best wishes and we will look for you on line.

Doug

Old 03-09-2004, 12:54 AM
wendy7

Hoping & praying that you will all be safe and that hurricane Frances
dissipates in a hurry.
From what I saw on the news at 4pm it looks like the whole of the tip
of Florida will be hit!
Take care & will cross my fingers & hold thumbs.
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 03-09-2004, 01:00 AM
David Fouchey

Diana good luck to you and Frank lass, I will be thinking of you, this
has been one wild yar for tropical storms, we are watching her path
closely ourselves, my Son is in Jacksonville, my Eldest Daughter in
St. Augustine, not directly in the path thank the gods. Hope your
pinky fairs ok kiddo. Frances is one mean lady.

Dave Under 23 inches of rain here....glug.

Old 03-09-2004, 01:38 AM
J Fortuna

Diana,
All the best to you! After the storm you can walk about with your splinted
hand, and everybody will assume that you had some heroic adventure in
hand-to-hand combat with Frances. Reminds me of the time in college when
right before we had freezing and sleet, I fainted and fell in the steamed up
dorm bathroom, sprained my ankle pretty seriously, and had to walk about the
campus with crutches, people just assumed I slipped on the ice. On the
upside since Frances has already been responsible for this casualty, surely
your household has already paid the blood sacrifice to Frances, and thus
will hopefully not be expected to pay more.
Best,
Joanna

ink.net...

Old 03-09-2004, 02:19 PM
GrlIntrpted

Diana, good luck to you and yours. You'll be alright, you guys are tough,
(after all you insist on growing orchids, a family of plants that developed
a reputation for being hard to cultivate ..

I am sorry about your fingers and I hope that the pain subsides! Please
write as soon as the storm is over! We'll be waiting.

Mariana

Old 03-09-2004, 05:04 PM
dd

Good luck to you, Frank, and Casper kitty. You are being very brave
about this.

Old 03-09-2004, 10:39 PM
Diana Kulaga

Thank you, thank you all! Orchid people are truly special.

We do not expect to see anything major until tomorrow afternoon, but the
squalls ahead of the storm are here and there. All buttoned up here;
Vandas came in this morning, as did some heavy cacti in pots. Took the
plastic grates off the benches and put them on the ground in the lanai. The
car is in the garage, for the very first time (Floridians don't have
basements; our 'stuff' goes in the garage).

Still on the air, obviously, though for how long is anyone's guess. I am
writing from a lap top, though, and if the power goes out I might still be
able to communicate as long as the phones are working.

As for this stupid hand, today it looks like it belongs to Mighty Joe Young.
Today I learned how to tie my shoes without three of my fingers!

And, I finally realized that I have been characterizing Frances as Francis,
in the male sense. So my hubby didn't cause this after all!

TTYS

Diana

Old 04-09-2004, 07:55 AM
Reka

Yes, please define for us West coasters!
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

Diana Kulaga wrote:

By the way, we stopped at the packie on the way home. Wish us all luck down
here in FL.

---