GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Taking Our Dends for Granted.... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/82953-taking-our-dends-granted.html)

Diana Kulaga 28-08-2004 10:54 PM

Taking Our Dends for Granted....

Every so often, we human beings have epiphanies. Here's one for you all.

Recently, we had some good friends over for a rib feast on the patio. Most
of the Phals are out of bloom, excluding the violacea and Kenneth Schubert.
We were "in between" on Catts, with some going by, one or two in bloom, and
others not yet ready. Some assorted Brassias and Oncidium types were in
various stages. I told our guests that I was sorry we didn't have more
blooming orchids for them to enjoy, and they looked at me as if I had two
heads!

Why? Because dozens of Dends are in bloom! Dozens of Dends are *always* in
bloom at our house. We realized that we have begun to take for granted our
Dends, which makes us forget how special they are, and how much joy we get
from them.

Time to stop and smell the Dendrobiums!

Diana

Diana Kulaga 29-08-2004 10:02 PM

I guess you have to have a talk with MY dens then! Only one bloomed for
me so far this year....

How old are they? How much light? Ours get bright - very bright - light.
Some of them are in continuous blossom. But we are in FL, and grow outside
under pool screening.

Diana

Tom Randy 30-08-2004 12:56 AM

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 21:02:31 +0000, Diana Kulaga wrote:

I guess you have to have a talk with MY dens then! Only one bloomed for
me so far this year....

How old are they? How much light? Ours get bright - very bright - light.
Some of them are in continuous blossom. But we are in FL, and grow outside
under pool screening.

Diana

Mine get plenty of light, west window. Fed every other watering. One
bloomed guess I just have to wait...