Old 06-09-2004, 09:29 AM
Elena

Default Miltonia's death :-(

Hi,

I came back from holidays and I found my Miltonia (I don't know the complete
name, it had beautiful big purple flowers) in agony ! Leaves had green tips
but were yellow at the base and roots also were yellow/orange. Flowers came
off just touching them !

I can't understand what happened ! In the same room I have Phals and some
"miniatures" (I'm not sure of the transaltion, we call miniatures the
orchids which grow in very little pots with nearly 5 cm diameter) and they
had no problems !
Before leaving I watered and fertilezed all my orchids (with the same
fertilizer), including some Odontoglossum (which are in good health in
another room).

After some days I was back the Miltonia lost all flowers and leaves and
became completely yellow/orange.

Maybe the fertilizer was ok for other orchids but not for Miltonia
(unfortunately I don't know the composition) ? Or there was too less light ?
The pot seemed little considering the Miltonia's size, but I bought it just
4 months ago...besides I've read that Miltonia's often are a bit tight.

Any idea ?

Elena

Old 06-09-2004, 02:12 PM
Ray

Elena,

Assuming it's a warm-growing miltonia and not a miltoniopsis (the
"pansies"), I see that happen with underwatering. I think the fertilizer
has nothing to do with it.

..

?

Old 06-09-2004, 09:28 PM
Elena

Hi Ray,

Assuming it's a warm-growing miltonia and not a miltoniopsis (the
"pansies"), I see that happen with underwatering. I think the fertilizer
has nothing to do with it.

From pictures on a pair of books I have I also think the Miltonia was a
"pancy".
So if I will buy another it will need more water than Phals and others ?

Cheers

Elena

Old 06-09-2004, 11:05 PM
Ray

I'm no pro at miltoniopsis, but they seem to do best when kept moderately
cool and constantly moist, but not soppy.

..
"Elena" wrote in message
Hi Ray,

Assuming it's a warm-growing miltonia and not a miltoniopsis (the
"pansies"), I see that happen with underwatering. I think the fertilizer
has nothing to do with it.

From pictures on a pair of books I have I also think the Miltonia was a

Old 07-09-2004, 09:12 AM
Elena

Thanks !

Elena

Old 08-09-2004, 01:34 AM
Matthew Donadio

Ray wrote:
I'm no pro at miltoniopsis, but they seem to do best when kept moderately
cool and constantly moist, but not soppy.

I can't find the parent to this, so...

In my experience, most Milt and Mtps problems are due to water, one way
or another.

If the RH is too low or there is not enough water at the roots, the
leaves will accordian rather quickly.

Nearly all of the Milts I have bought have come in a fine bark mix.
With indoor growing, they need a lot of water to compensate for lower
RH. Fine bark + lots of water = dead roots. After moving mine to
semi-hydroponics (with coarse media), I give them a ton of water and
they grow like weeds. I suspect that sphagnum would work better than
fine bark for Milts, but I have not tried that.

FWIW, HTH, etc.

--Matt

Old 10-09-2004, 02:10 PM
Registered User

I grow Milts in fine coconut husk in clear pots and they love it. The medium stays moist but not soggy. Does not compact the roots.

Fussy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Donadio

Old 10-09-2004, 04:33 PM
Rob Halgren

FussyLittleGirl wrote:

I grow Milts in fine coconut husk in clear pots and they love it. The
medium stays moist but not soggy. Does not compact the roots.

I'm not a pro at it either, but the collection I just purchased had a
lot of miltonia and miltoniopsis (five hundred maybe). They are all
doing reasonably well despite being terribly abused for about nine
months, including infrequent watering, low humidity, no fertilizer, and
a fairly long time without the shade cloth on the greenhouse too. All
were potted in a fine (seedling) bark mix with a little perlite and
charcoal. They are tougher than you might expect. Most are a little
yellow, but are greening up nicely with a shot of fertilizer.

Personally I like coconut, but not the small stuff. I'd use a medium
grade (1/4"). But that is just me. And I mix it with large sponge rock
and some charcoal. Coconut looks like it dries out, but go ahead and
give a chunk a good squeeze 4 or 5 days after you water. You will get a
lot of water out. That makes me a little nervous about using it straight.

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open - e-mail me for a list )

Old 12-09-2004, 06:31 PM
Hope Munro Smith

And thanks from me too. My miltonia died because I went away and I
didn't give proper directions to the person watching our apartment.
Of course, I went out and bought a new one and trying to keep it moist
and leave the fan on it during the day.

Miltonia's death :-( Elena Orchids 0 06-09-2004 09:29 AM
Miltonia Inflorescences Getting Stuck Matthew Donadio Orchids 2 06-04-2004 10:17 PM
Miltonia Inflorescences Getting Stuck Matthew Donadio Orchids 0 06-04-2004 10:17 PM
Miltonia, Vuylstekeara, and Miltonidium dd Orchids 8 11-09-2003 01:19 AM
mushy psuedobulbs on a miltonia Diane Mancino Orchids 0 27-04-2003 05:20 PM