Old 10-09-2004, 05:03 AM
Roman Terps

Default Phal. newby ???

I got a phal at my local OS about 6 mo ago. I live in the San Fernando
Valley (Los Angeles, only hotter). Everything was stable, even sprouted a
new and hefty root. I mounted it and moved it to my patio where it gets
bright shade for long periods. Been pretty hot here lately 100F to 105F by
2pm. The other day I noticed that the lowest of 4 tiers of leaves had
turned brown and withered. I figured, well, ok I read that some Orchids are
desiduous. No worries, but now only about 5 days later the next tier (2
leaves) are doing the same. As a precaution I moved it back inside.
Everything else seems healthy, the roots and the other leaves have good
color and feel. So is this normal desiduous behavior or is it just too
blinkin hot. I mist the moss daily in the am, sometimes twice. BTW there
are 4 other mounted orchids of various types on the patio in a group, seem
to be fine.

Got $.02 for me?

Jack

Old 10-09-2004, 11:53 AM
Ray

While phals can withstand the high temperatures, they need shade and a lot
of humidity and constant moisture to do so. Misting in the morning is WAY
too little moisture.

..

Old 10-09-2004, 04:40 PM
K Barrett

As a fellow Californian in the great central valley I can tell you that its
way too dry for a phal to be mounted outside in California. We just don't
have the ambient humidity to support life like that. And as you correctly
note: its just too dang hot, too.

Your friends closer to the coast with its humidity may be able to grow these
mounted outside, but you in the SFV can't. (notice Rands orchids and Zuma
Canyon orchids are on the Malibu coast. They aren't there for the view.)

You'll have better success if you put it back in its pot where the potting
medium can give mosture and humidity back to the plant's roots (and hence to
the plant) on a consistent basis.

That your other orchids are doing fine doesn't apply to all orchids. Case
selection determines results. Laelia anceps, for example is found in nature
growing on cactus. Many oncidiums found in Mexico do well dry. Santa
Barbara Orchid Estate (google it) has a nice list of several very neat
orchids, hybrids and species, that can be grown outside, some easliy, some
with some effort. Their list will give you ideas on plants to experiment
with if you want to grow orchids on your patio, and not just boring pool
plants like cymbidiums or epidendrums..

K Barrett

Old 10-09-2004, 07:18 PM
GrlIntrpted

Jack, Phals like warm weather, but when it gets hot, they need to be
protected from the sun, and the roots like to be misted.
Misting in the AM is not enough for Phals in such heat. I dunk all my
mounted phals into water and let them sit for approximately 10=15 minutes
every morning (unless it rains). And even when it rains, if the forcast
calls for dry afternoon, I water the mounted Phals. I suspect that yours
are dying of thirst and got a bit of sun burn!

Mariana