Old 10-09-2004, 07:26 PM
Rob Halgren

Gene Schurg wrote:
What's the worse case for you to wait for the Greenhouse? You could keep
them in the barn for several days without damage provided the barn doesn't

get that cold.

Its a pole barn, but it would be easy to heat. I have power out
there. It does make sense, I've left plants in boxes for a few weeks at
a time without a problem. Only problem is moving them. As long as the
weather channel is reasonably close to correct, I would have a few days
warning on any really scary weather.

If you have the plants under cover and they structure warms up during the
day it may stay warm enough without any heaters.

That is what I am hoping, although if we get some of the inevitable
cold drizzly days it might get ugly.

Have you considered a couple of electric heaters and fans that would keep
the temporary greenhouse warm on those first couple of cool nights?

Fans I got. I'm a little nervous around electricity and outside - I
don't think most of the electric heaters are really designed to be
rained on.

I get nervous around the temporary propane heaters because of the carbon
monoxide. I have an attachment to put on a propane tank if there was a

Well, for outside (the shade house) I'm not too worried about CO.
When I get the greenhouse up I'll have double the heating capacity that
I need - I have two furnaces sized for the original greenhouse, which is
twice as big as I'm putting up. I'll put them on separate thermostats
with one set to fire at a lower temperature, so if I lose a furnace I
should still be ok. Only problem is electricity - I need to work out a
generator in case the power goes out. I was thinking of getting a
propane generator.

Sounds like you need to push your contractor to finish .... NOW!

I need to get the contractor to give me a final bid first... He
didn't seem concerned about finishing it in time, said that was the easy
part. He's the expert, but I'm the guy who loses the plants if he is
wrong. We'll see. I'm trying to get more than one bid, of course, but
that would be easier if I had started my panic attack a few weeks ago.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open - e-mail me for a list )
Old 11-09-2004, 12:02 AM
Gene Schurg

Rob,

After the election you can keep the politicians in Michigan as well. We
really don't want them here either.

Gene

"Rob Halgren" wrote in message
Mick Fournier wrote:

Rob,

I didn't know you were in Michigan... I am a Michigan boy too. Give me

the
secret old wolverine handshake.

Sorry, I only know the Spartan handshake... Better colors, too. I
used to kind of covet living in Florida, but after the last month or so
I think I'll leave that to the experts.

I think Al Pickerel figured all that BTU stuff a few years ago when he

was
in a similar situation.
I would ask him. I seem to recall his alternative/stop-gap heating plans
were hilarious at the time ... ie for us... but not him.
http://www.orchidexchange.com/

Oh I have backup plans... I have a lot of corn, perhaps a corn
stove would be nice... Then switch to manure heat. A little stinky, but
free. If I run out of horse manure I'll send away to Washington, they
seem to have a lot. Since this year the politicians are in Michigan
more than they are in DC, I can probably get a break on shipping. After
the election, there will be all sorts of campaign workers out of a job,
so I can hire 20 or 30 for a few pennies an hour and have them warm the
air by doing jumping jacks all day. Looks like I'm covered through
Thanksgiving, at least.

Old 11-09-2004, 06:21 AM
Mick Fournier

Rob,

I didn't know you were in Michigan... I am a Michigan boy too. Give me the
secret old wolverine handshake.

I think Al Pickerel figured all that BTU stuff a few years ago when he was
in a similar situation.
I would ask him. I seem to recall his alternative/stop-gap heating plans
were hilarious at the time ... ie for us... but not him.
http://www.orchidexchange.com/

Mick

"Rob Halgren" wrote in message
Ok, here's the deal. I have about 2000 plants, all sitting outside
waiting for my greenhouse to go up. This may or may not happen before
the cold nights, although so far September has been warmer than July up
here in Michigan. They are in a shadehouse

clip

Old 11-09-2004, 10:54 AM
Mick Fournier

Default Temporary shadehouse/ Emergency heat

Rob,

I meant the entire State of Michigan wolverine... not the football
wolverine.

Mick

Old 11-09-2004, 10:54 AM
Mick Fournier

Rob,

I meant the entire State of Michigan wolverine... not the football
wolverine.

Mick

Natural solar heat gain v controlled heat gain? keith kent Orchids 3 27-11-2007 06:56 PM
Shadehouse Niki Australia 6 04-11-2007 08:17 AM
Greenhouse / Shadehouse Bill[_3_] Orchids 3 09-05-2007 01:33 AM
Temporary shadehouse/ Emergency heat Rob Halgren Orchids 0 10-09-2004 04:58 PM
heat stroke and heat exhaustion [email protected] Ponds 29 31-05-2003 04:56 AM