Old 10-09-2004, 06:30 PM
Rob Halgren

Peter Aitken wrote:

I recently (3 weeks) moved a few phals from a windowsill where they were not
getting enough light (I thought) to under fluorescent bulbs. Some of the
leaves are developing a purplish cast. What does this mean?

It means you are finally getting enough light... Many phals will
develop a little red or purple color under good light. This is a good
sign.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open - e-mail me for a list )
Old 10-09-2004, 11:36 PM
Peter Aitken

Default Purple leaves

--

Thanks - good news indeed! But I'm still a bit puzzled. At a recent orchid
workshop I heard that phal leaves ideally should be a light green, like

--
Peter Aitken

Old 11-09-2004, 01:43 PM
Ray

The tendency of phal leaves to turn reddish with more light _can_ occur
more in plants having purple, red or even yellow flowers (depending on the
hybrid), due to the presence of the red pigment anthocyanin, while the
whites, with no anthocyanin, tend to get paler with more sun exposure, but
that's not a hard and fast rule.

..

Old 13-09-2004, 07:07 AM
Pat Brennan

Just as with people, turning purple is not always a good thing. If the
portions of the leaves closes to the lights are turning the darkest it is no
problem just as the thread has discussed. But if it is happening on the
lower leaves, leaves covered by other leaves, or just the leaf tips it is
most likely a sign of root or nutritional problems.

Pat

m...