Old 11-09-2004, 11:06 PM
Xi Wang

Did the phal come with a name? If so, you could probably look it up and
determine what the colour is.

Cheers,
Xi

Sean wrote:
Wow...thanks for all of the support!

Ray - The photo was taken in very low-light conditions at night, so
there wasn't any natural light to really do the plant any justice.
The foliage is actually dark green; I only fertilize bi-weekly using a
very diluted mix. When I purchased the plant it had already dropped
it's blooms and there was no indication of what color it was...the
local help didn't know, either.

Ray, I've been reading your comments in the orchid newsgroups for
quite some time and it's a pleasure to hear from you.

Thanks,

Sean

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 08:34:30 -0400, "Ray"
wrote:

As Reka and Xi answered the "what to do with the keiki" part, I'll skip
that.

While the background species can affect the formation of keikis, as Reka
mentioned, culture can sometimes play a role, as the formation of keikis can
be a "survival" mechanism for the plant if it is somehow stressed.

The photo of the plant shows it to have quite lush foliage that is a bright
green in color. If that is not simply a remnant of the photo and its
appearance on my monitor, it may suggest that you have been overdoing the
nitrogen and the plant may be malnourished - stressing the plant into the
formation of keikis and pretty much guaranteeing that the thing won't bloom.

If you can provide details, we can see if my guess has any validity!

Old 11-09-2004, 11:12 PM
Xi Wang

Hi,

Well, in my limited experience, I don't think there's any fast and hard
rule for what leaf colours are healthy, it depends a lot on the genetic
background doesn't it? I have 3 Dtps. Sogo Pearls and they all have
nice dark green leaves and one of them has been blooming nicely for
about half a year. On the other hand, I have a Phal. (Buena Jewel X
Coral Isles) 'C1' (which is a mix of 1/4 amboinensis, 1/4
lueddemanniana, 1/8 micholitzii, and 3/8 violacea) which has very light
(almost jade) green leaves and it blooms fine as well. For me, as long
as there is no weird discolouration, and the leaves are turgid, I just
assume they are doing okay...but that's just me.

Cheers,
Xi

J Fortuna wrote:

Ray,

You mentioned that Sean's lush bright green leaves look malnurished and that
if this is the case "pretty much guaranteeing that the thing won't bloom".
Is it the combination of "lush" and "bright" green only that is an
indication of malnurishment? I thought that lush and dark green means too
little light, is that correct?

I posted a photo of one of my Phal Noid's leaves on abpo for comparison.
Does this plant look malnurished as well? It's one of my most reliable
bloomers: most recently I can rely on it to rebloom about twice a year. It's
got tons of roots, many of them aerial. But the foliage is lush medium-dark
green. I know that this does not guarantee the thing won't bloom in this
case at least. :-)

I am trying to learn to "read" leaves better. So any feedback on what to
look for and how to interpret are appreciated.

Thanks, Joanna

Old 12-09-2004, 02:06 AM
Ray

What about the trace elements? And at what rate are you feeding?

..
"Sean" wrote in message
I'm using a 20-10-20.

Sean

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 10:05:39 -0400, "Ray"
wrote:

What fertilizer are you using?

Old 12-09-2004, 03:21 AM
Sean

Hi all,

Ray, the fert brand is Grow More, label is marked as specific to phals
and paphs...I am an orchid neophyte, so I may easily be duped. I
water by touch and fertilize on every other watering at a half rate.
I do have experience in over-nurturing, as I drowned the very first
orchid I owned. My small collection now consists of about 10 phals,
two cybidiums and 4 denobriums.

Xi, the plant came with no markings or 'tags', which I believe is
typical in the mass retail trade for orchids.

thanks again for the comments,

Sean

Old 12-09-2004, 03:26 AM
Sean

Joanna,

The quality of your photo is far superior to mine in color clarity...I
would say that the coloration on my phal is almost identical to your
Phal Noid's. Unfortunately, my digi cam works best in outdoor
settings, so the indoor pics leave much to be desired.

I too am interested in learning how to read the leaf, so I appreciate
your follow-up post on this thread.

Thanks for the comparison photo,

Sean

Old 12-09-2004, 03:39 AM
Ray

Sean,

The product itself may not be an issue, but "half strength" is meaningless
without knowing what full strength is. Grow More is supposed to make a good
product.

Generally, I find that somewhere in the neighborhood of 100-150 ppm N, used
at every watering, is a good rate. For your 20-10-20, that would be 1/2
teaspoon per gallon.

..

?? about keiki on phal Sean Orchids 0 11-09-2004 03:26 AM
sub-basal keiki? J Fortuna Orchids 6 13-03-2004 04:43 PM
Dendrobium keiki? John DeGood Orchids 1 07-09-2003 05:45 AM
Keiki Paste on Dendrobium Stems Merrill Speeter Orchids 1 29-05-2003 05:22 AM
Where can I get Keiki-Grow? Cardigan Orchids 2 06-05-2003 07:20 AM