Old 11-09-2004, 06:17 PM
K Barrett

Default Web question again

OK, I'm screwed.

I updated to XP and now files created by my web page maker program aren't
recognised by XP.

When I try to open the file I have to tell XP which program to associate to
that file.

Is this becasue the program is a very old one? (its called PageMill, and is
very simple and easy to use, especially since I've been using it since time
immemorial.) Is there a way to get XP to recognize PageMill? Maybe
reinstall pagemill? This program is sooo od that Adobe doesn't even suport
it anymore...

I'd hate to have to buy a new program and then have to learn it.

And, yes, this *is* on topic, unless no one wants anymore OrchidSafari
archives...

K Barrett

Old 11-09-2004, 06:47 PM
GrlIntrpted

I would go to the PageMill website or contact their tech support. It might
need a patch that will create a path to the software that the OS will
recognize.

Mariana

Old 11-09-2004, 07:44 PM
John DeGood

K Barrett wrote:
When I try to open the file I have to tell XP which program to associate to
that file.

From "Start | Help and Support" in Windows XP:

To change the program that opens a file

1. Open My Documents.
If the file you want is not located in My Documents or its subfolders, use Search to find it. To open Search, click Start, and then click Search.
2. Right-click the file you want to open in a different program, and then click Properties.
3. On the General tab, click Change.
4. Click the name of the program in which you want the file to open.

Notes

- To open My Documents, click Start, and then click My Documents.
- This change affects all files that have the same file name extension as the file you selected. For example, if you change the program that opens a .jpg file, all .jpg files will open in this program.
- You can also change the program that opens a file by right-clicking the file, clicking Open With, and then clicking the program name. If the program you want is not displayed, click Browse.

John
Old 11-09-2004, 09:54 PM
K Barrett

Well, all was restored by re installing teh programs... I guess this
computer is just sort of twitchy. I didn't relize there was a big a
difference between XP and Win 98.

I must have installed that program in about 3 different files one under my
user name, one as adminstrator and one in program files... ack, no wonder
the thing wouldn't work!

Thanks so much for your input. John, I've saved you info because I *know*
i'll need that again some day.

Thnaks bunches!!

Kath

Old 11-09-2004, 09:55 PM
K Barrett

That was my first thought too, but Page Mill so sooooo out of date they no
longer even list it under their products!! (I been ORPHANED!)

Thanks, Mariana,

. net...

Old 11-09-2004, 09:55 PM
profpam

K,

The best thing to do is look at the code from the standpoint of a text editor
and manually do the editing. Load-in the old code that works and then compare it
with the new code that does not work. Then start editing line per line and
checking the html with your browser. I have seen the type of problem you mention
with newer programs; i. e. Front Page, and I am under the assumption that some
of the XML translations are getting in there and messing things up.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Web question again K Barrett Orchids 0 11-09-2004 06:17 PM
Steveo Spanked Again - Was: rat does the tard dance...again Aratzio Lawns 35 10-07-2004 01:02 AM
Web hosting for your gardening web site. $1.95 per month Hostronica Web Hosting Gardening 0 01-05-2003 06:56 AM
Pictures on the web again Stephen Goodall United Kingdom 1 25-03-2003 09:08 PM