Old 11-09-2004, 12:57 AM
Diana Kulaga

Default We're Okay

Hi, All,

Just got power back last night; the phones, both land and cell, were out
from Saturday until Tuesday. And we are lucky; 70% of our city is still
without electricity and I have no idea how many are without phones.

Frances made landfall about 20 miles from here. We got both eye walls.
This was a huge, slow storm that began in earnest on Saturday and did not
complete its journey until Sunday afternoon. Damage to the area is much
worse than would be expected from a cat 2 storm, mainly because it simply
stayed and stayed and stayed. We originally thought that it would hit
during the day, but it came in the wee hours. We thought a bit of sleep
would be good, but that was impossible of course. I put a pillow and
blanket on the family room sofa, and Casper the Wonder Cat was the only one
to use them, LOL. The cat decided to chill......

We had only minor damage. We lost some roof shingles and the screening out
back is ripped up, but remains in place. The orchids are unhappy (still
under cover due to the possibility of Ivan), but all have so far survived.
They need air and light, which we will provide tomorrow. A fellow grower
whose plants are largely in his trees lost an estimated 500 plants.

Much more to tell, many anecdotes, but my son and Beverly just arrived from
Palm Beach, where they have no power still. Gonna go cook steaks and relax.
More tomorrow!

Diana

Is now okay to divide red hot pokers? Rosie United Kingdom 6 09-06-2004 06:25 PM
RichToyBox okay? FBCS Ponds 0 21-09-2003 02:03 AM
Lead weights okay? Doug David Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 20-04-2003 07:21 AM
okay to buy plants at Red Barn after the freeze? sort Texas 2 05-04-2003 12:11 PM
okay to buy plants at Red Barn after the freeze? sort Texas 2 05-03-2003 02:27 AM