Old 19-09-2004, 09:23 PM
kenty ;-\)

Default Doris chip x cinnarbarina

Doris Chip x cinnarbarina
Can anyone help with the name of this plant I got free off someone?I have
heard of I cinnarbarina but not doris chip.The leaves are unifoliate.
--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

Old 21-09-2004, 09:08 PM
kenty ;-\)

Thanks Ray,Do you know this to be a actual name of a plant, I have tried
doing a google search without success.I have obviously heard of Lc
cinnarbarina but not Doris chip/dale.
Looks like I will have to wait till it flowers to try and I.D it.

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

.

Old 21-09-2004, 09:27 PM
Rob Halgren

kenty ;-) wrote:

Thanks Ray,Do you know this to be a actual name of a plant, I have tried
doing a google search without success.I have obviously heard of Lc
cinnarbarina but not Doris chip/dale.
Looks like I will have to wait till it flowers to try and I.D it.

Lc.Doris Chippindale is C. Ardmore x Lc. Cloth of Gold. You could
also have L. cinnabarina (the species) or Epidendrum cinnabarinum
(another species...) as the pollen parent. Presumably the tag is
correct with L. cinnabarina.

There is also a Bc. Doris, Blc Doris, C. Doris, an Lc. Doris, and an
Slc. Doris. There should be a law against that... Any one of those
could have a clone with the name 'Chip'. I can't find 'Chip' for any of
those with an AOS award, but you don't need an AOS award to give a
clonal name.

Anyway, you are screwed... At least as far as determining what the
actual name of the cross is. Unless you can definitely say that the pod
parent is Lc. Doris Chippendale (which is unique). Doris is a way
common common name.

Ain't namin' fun?

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open - e-mail me for a list )

Old 22-09-2004, 09:41 PM
K Barrett

Keith,

I don't see from your original post whether you have a clue as to whether
your plant is a C, Sc, Lc or what. Just to throw a spanner into the works
there is an influential hybrid called Sc. Doris ( C dowiana x Soph coccinea)
that was used in breeding small red hybrids, most notably Slc Madge Fordyce.
Crossing to cinnabarina may tend to support this idea. Wildcatt shows no US
awards but since its an old cross its possible that there's a RHS award out
there somewhere, or that it is a favorite clone that someone somewhere
decided to put the clonal epithet 'Chip' on. Sc Doris was registered by
Bull & Sons in Chelsea in 1904. If your plant blooms red with a coccinea
sort of shape you'd have a clue.

K Barrett

"kenty ;-)" wrote in message
Doris Chip x cinnarbarina
Can anyone help with the name of this plant I got free off someone?I

have
heard of I cinnarbarina but not doris chip.The leaves are

unifoliate.
--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

do you have experience with tar and chip paving? postle Gardening 2 11-08-2005 02:56 PM
Bark Chip and Shady Plants Suggestions WRabbit United Kingdom 2 18-05-2005 03:27 PM
Ping Chip Stein Maloney Empire Lawns 4 16-12-2004 04:28 AM
Bark chip area Glen Able United Kingdom 2 16-11-2004 01:11 PM
do you have experience with tar and chip paving? postle Gardening 0 24-02-2004 05:32 PM