Old 20-09-2004, 03:48 PM
Reka

Default L. pumila

Okay, I am not doing well with my pumila on a cork mount. I am a windowsill grower. Can anyone suggest anything with lower
maintenance like SH or something? I have to water everything at the kitchen sink, and hand watering four to five mounts once or
twice a day is too time consuming.
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

---

Old 20-09-2004, 11:57 PM
John Mallery

I have my L. pumila in a 4 inch basket with a medium bark mix. This allows
it to drain quickly, but not dry out as fast as a mount. I water mine twice
a week and it is in 60% humidity. It has grown very well, but has yet to
bloom. It seems that it is now blooming size and hopefully will bloom next
spring. Although mounts duplicate natural growing conditions, I have not had
much success with mounts and have moved nearly everything to pots. I have an
Encyclia bractescens on a mount that does extremely well - weed like
perhaps, but I have killed or "maimed" nearly everything else on a mount...

John

Old 21-09-2004, 06:11 AM
Reka

Thanks, John. Now how do you get it off the frigging mount, or shall I just bury the whole mount in the bark? I don't have a
basket, but a net pot would probably do okay, I guess.

Old 21-09-2004, 07:22 AM
Susan Erickson

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 07:11:51 +0200, "Reka"
wrote:

Thanks, John. Now how do you get it off the frigging mount, or shall I just bury the whole mount in the bark? I don't have a
basket, but a net pot would probably do okay, I guess.

Cut down the mount if there is a lot of unused territory. But if
the plant is fully engaging the mounting material, just bury it.
Just remember the solid material will change the flow of water
thru your bark mix if it is under the plant. Sometimes you can
encourage the plant to walk into a pot and off a mount. Loosen
what can be and encourage the roots to explore the mix. Over a
couple of repottings you should be able to remove the slab
remnants.
SuE

Old 21-09-2004, 04:22 PM
K Barrett

Forgive me, but John lives in Florida and you live in Italy. Why do you
think you can grow your orchid like he does?

K Barrett

Old 21-09-2004, 05:07 PM
John Mallery

Actually, I live in Kansas...

With a controlled environment...

John

Old 21-09-2004, 05:19 PM
Reka

Well, I know he doesn't live in Florida, so I am assuming his method might be okay for me. Besides, this plant is going to die if I
don't do something, since I don't have the time nor humidity to properly care for it mounted.
Besides, Kath, I haven't heard any better suggestions! Got any?

Old 21-09-2004, 07:06 PM
GARLAND HANSON

"Reka" wrote in message
Okay, I am not doing well with my pumila on a cork mount. I am a
windowsill grower. Can anyone suggest anything with lower
maintenance like SH or something? I have to water everything at the
kitchen sink, and hand watering four to five mounts once or
twice a day is too time consuming.

---

Laelia pumila 'Luscious' - semi-alba with stunning coloration on lip Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 1 16-11-2006 05:52 AM
Laelia pumila - rich velvety purple Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 0 16-11-2006 05:43 AM
Oerstedella pumila 'Yasnita' danny Orchid Photos 7 15-11-2006 02:21 PM
L. pumila Reka Orchids 0 20-09-2004 03:48 PM
Lilium pumila Franz Heymann United Kingdom 0 11-06-2004 09:46 AM