Old 22-09-2004, 05:50 PM
janet_a

Default rot question

well that harlequin phal i posted about a bit ago ("wisdom of the
group" post) and that i thought i killed all the rot off of is showing
rot again. (and yes, unfortunately the new growth *is* a spike
instead of a basal keiki as some here had theorized; i'll have to
whack it off i guess.) the leaves are still fat and waxy and it's
still putting out nice fat roots. (in fact, it's the healthiest
looking plant with rot i've ever seen. :-)

so the question is, how often to treat with hydrogen peroxide without
killing the plant? :-) is this a weekly thing, bi-weekly, every
other day? your thoughts appreciated. TIA...

--j_a
Old 22-09-2004, 06:17 PM
Ray

I don't recall, are we talking crown rot?

If so, douse it thoroughly once with hydrogen peroxide. When it is totally
dry, liberally sprinkle the affected area with cinnamon and keep the area
dry.

..
om...

Old 22-09-2004, 10:45 PM
K Barrett

I'd use a new blade and cut it across the main trunk below the infected part
until I was sure I saw no evidence of brown streaks in the heart of the
plant, treat with peroxide then seal with cinnamon. It should pup from the
side.

K Barrett

om...

Old 23-09-2004, 01:06 AM
Xi Wang

Hi group,

I noticed something weird on one of my phals the other day, and I was
wondering if anyone else has seen this before. A Phal. Amaglad 'Hong'
is putting out 2 new leaves simultaneously (from one crown). The first
leave started growing a few days ago, and is maybe 1cm tall, and still
growing. But last night, whilst misting, I noticed that from the centre
of the new leaf was emergying another growth. I thought phals grew a
leaf at a time. And the thing is, this isn't even a really healthy
plant. It has some rot a while ago, and has lost a lot of the root
system - is it now in the process of putting out some new roots.

Cheers,
Xi

Old 23-09-2004, 04:35 AM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 20:45:45 GMT, "K Barrett"
wrote:

I'd use a new blade and cut it across the main trunk below the infected part
until I was sure I saw no evidence of brown streaks in the heart of the
plant, treat with peroxide then seal with cinnamon. It should pup from the
side.

K Barrett

"janet_a" wrote in message
. com...

so the question is, how often to treat with hydrogen peroxide without
killing the plant? :-) is this a weekly thing, bi-weekly, every
other day? your thoughts appreciated. TIA...

--j_a

When I used hydrogen peroxide for crown rot, I just watered the
plant with almost 1/2 a bottle a time for about 6 weeks. I don't
remember where but I had seen it written as the cure for crown
rot. When ever I use Cinnamon I end up drying off too much
plant.

So I don't think it matters how often you use the hydrogen
peroxide.
SuE

Old 23-09-2004, 11:37 AM
Ray

I've seen that happen on occasion, and fairly often the "first" new leaf
stalls and the second, surprise one keeps going.

..

Old 23-09-2004, 11:39 AM
Ray

Oh, yeah, one more thing: the sentence that has the words "night" and
"misting" is not so good a sign. Leaving a plant damp in the evening is not
a good idea, as that's a perfect invitation for rot.

..

Old 23-09-2004, 06:51 PM
janet_a

thanks all--i looked at the thing again this morning and it looks like
the rot* has spread down; i don't think i could cut it all the way to
clean tissue. i probably should have whacked off the top a couple
months ago. i tossed some cinnamon on it this AM cause i was in a
hurry; i may try the pouring-H2O2-on-it-weekly thing until it gets
better or it dies. if it gets better, great; if it dies, i have the
receipt--and an excuse to go visit Al in the spring and pick out
another harlequin. :-)

--j_a

* i don't know if this is actually crown rot or not; i thought CR
could eat your plant in, like, 36 hrs? this is slower moving, but
it's black, and sticky, and in the right place. (and yes the plant is
isolated from all the others again.)

Old 24-09-2004, 12:05 AM
Xi Wang

Hi,

Thanks for your comments Ray. I know it's not great to mist the roots
in the evening, and they say you should do it in the morning, but
sometimes if the aerial roots have been dry all day then I just can't
help it. What is the reasoning behind the whole 'mist in the morning'
maxim? I mean, I see no reason why fungi would be more likely to strike
at night than during the day.

Cheers,
Xi

Old 24-09-2004, 03:01 AM
Ray

Nights are typically cooler, which is more favorable to fungal growth.

If your plants are THAT dry after a day, then you're not watering well
enough and/or your environment is too dry. Misting the roots alone does not
add all that much of a fungal threat. It's the crown I was concerned about.

..

rot rot rot [email protected] Orchids 29 30-03-2006 09:56 PM
success saving jade from root rot sebres Gardening 0 01-06-2003 06:20 PM
crown rot Orchids 6 30-03-2003 03:32 AM
crown rot -- please advise! Tanya Orchids 8 04-03-2003 06:39 PM
root rot bb Orchids 4 08-02-2003 02:49 PM