Old 27-09-2004, 01:18 PM
GARLAND HANSON

One one the newer offerings that is extremely fragrant i.e.
run-you-out-of-the-house-eventually is Cycd. Wine Delight 'JEM' FCC/AOS
(Cyc. lehmanni x Morm. sinuata). The scent reminds you of sweet cherry
cough drops. This particular plant has been cloned extensively and can be
had on the market in spike (now!) for $25-$35.

In addition to the scent, it is a beautiful plant with thick, waxy red
flowers.

Of the cattleya species, the hands-down winner of the scent contest is C.
iricolor. The flowers aren't as showy as some of the others but once you
get a wiff of it you'll NEVER forget it. It isn't a common offering but it
can be had. I saw a large plant in bloom at a show a few years ago and
never forgot it!

Garland

"GrlIntrpted" wrote in message
news
Epidendrum stamfordianum

Mariana

"H Playel" wrote in message
Well, many love Oncidium Sharry Baby. It is obvious that certain

Cattleyas
have a floral scent. Maxillaria tenuifolia smells like coconut.

Brassavola
nodosa is the Queen of the Night and Oncidium ornitorhynchum have a
vanilla-soap fragrance.

But there are so many others!

I am looking for tips of other flowering orchids. I know there are

websites
with lists, but I want personal recollection and recommendation here!

I am especially looking for orchids that smell spicy, preferably like
cloves.
Of course it varies between persons and between clones, but as I said,

I'm
curious what you think.

Personally I recommend Dendrobium hancockii (strong scent of honey).

That's
my favourite fragrant orchid, I think.
Stanhopea hernandezii smells like hartz (if that is even an english

word),
which I like.

What are your favourites?

Old 27-09-2004, 05:26 PM
J. Del Col

Neofinetia falcata.
Dendrobium kingianum.

J. Del Col

BTW, yesterday I discovered a half dozen clumps of -Goodyera
pubescens- about 300 meters from my house. I thought they had been
destroyed by logging operations a few years ago, but they've come back
and look very healthy.
Old 28-09-2004, 02:12 AM
Registered User

Location: Epsom, Surrey

i think my favourites for scent would be Phal. sweet memory, this only ever has a few flowers at a time thanks to one of its parents (phal violacea). Stanhopea tigrina nigroviolacea, i had my large plant flower this year with 3 stems, you could smell it across the entire garden from inside the greenhouse. and finally Dendrobium Thai jasmine, i picked mine up in Singapore for the extortionate amount of £2 for a large flowering plant and it has the a scent like jasmine and lemons, its great!
Old 28-09-2004, 02:30 AM
Eric Hunt

Garland,

How interesting - you chose two plants/species that many people find
disagreeable in fragrance. The Cycnodes Wine Delight goes either way for
most people - I personally think it's really foul smelling. The Cattleya
iricolor is widely regarded as one of the only foul smelling Cattleyas. Do
you find the fragrance enjoyable?

Thanks,

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Old 28-09-2004, 11:56 AM
Dave Gillingham

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 20:31:45 +0200, "H Playel"
wrote:

What are your favourites?

I fully endorse the suggestion of D. kingianum. Also many of its
hybrids.
Dendrobium anosmum (previously D. superbum) has a heavy perfume that
is very pleasant in small quantities - at close range it can be
overpowering.

Dave Gillingham

Old 28-09-2004, 04:56 PM
Eric Hunt

Hi again,

Prosthechea fragrans - amazingly strong and wonderfully fragrant. It is in
bloom right now at OrchidMania, filling the entire warm greenhouse with its
scent.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Old 28-09-2004, 06:43 PM
solo_voyager

B. nodosa at night is hard to beat. Especially when I can smell it
from the far end of the house.

B. cuculata is nice too, untill you smell nodosa next to it. Then, it
smells like a skunk, figurativly speaking.

Phal. bellina is not as nice but, I still like it.

Den. anosmum's almost overpowering fragrance is nice to cycle through
the house too.

D. aphyllum: I like it, but it's not a favorite.
D. primulinum smells very similar.

D. crystallinum fills the house with the almost overpowering odor of
honey. A strong fragrance.

D.'s parishii, loddigessii and gratiosissimum have their charm too.

D. kingianum deserves to be much higher on the list than here. It's a
nice one.

Same for Onc. ornithorhynchum with it's light sweet fragrance.

Then, there are my D. Nobile hybrids:
Yukidaruma 'King' is definittely my favorite with

Happy Bride 'Orient" close behind.

But, my absolute favorite? It's a local native orchid: Platanthera
dilatata, the White Bog Candle. M-M-M-M-M-M...I love it!

As long as my list of cultivated orchids is, I have to add Spiranthes
romanzoffiana (Hooded Ladies' Tresses) to the natives as a favorite
also.

Old 29-09-2004, 03:55 PM
GARLAND HANSON

Two other nice ones are Paph. malipoense and Paph. Lynleigh Koopowitz. An
incredible raspberry aroma!
Garland