Old 26-09-2004, 07:31 PM
H Playel

Default Favourite fragrant orchids

Well, many love Oncidium Sharry Baby. It is obvious that certain Cattleyas
have a floral scent. Maxillaria tenuifolia smells like coconut. Brassavola
nodosa is the Queen of the Night and Oncidium ornitorhynchum have a
vanilla-soap fragrance.

But there are so many others!

I am looking for tips of other flowering orchids. I know there are websites
with lists, but I want personal recollection and recommendation here!

I am especially looking for orchids that smell spicy, preferably like
cloves.
Of course it varies between persons and between clones, but as I said, I'm
curious what you think.

Personally I recommend Dendrobium hancockii (strong scent of honey). That's
my favourite fragrant orchid, I think.
Stanhopea hernandezii smells like hartz (if that is even an english word),
which I like.

What are your favourites?

Old 26-09-2004, 08:23 PM
Susan Erickson

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 20:31:45 +0200, "H Playel"
wrote:

What are your favourites?

All Zygo's smell strongly. It is mostly sweet. But it tickles my
allergies So I can not define it.

Neofinetia falcata and all its crosses.

Rhynchostylis' and their crosses. Esp. to Neofinetia.
So now you have a WHOLE fleet of smaller smellier Lovelies.
And again I am allergic to all scents so I can not tell you other
than sweet and generally pleasing.
SuE

Old 27-09-2004, 01:10 AM
Xi Wang

I recently purchased a Phal. (Buena Jewel X Coral Isles) 'C1' and it is
very fragrant. I'm mainly into phals these days, and there are very few
that are fragrant, so at the moment I can't recommend anything else. I
also have a Zygo, and the phal is definitely on the same level in terms
of scent.

Cheers,
Xi

Old 27-09-2004, 01:12 AM
Bob Walsh

Lycaste aromatica smells like cinnamon red hot candies

Bob

Old 27-09-2004, 01:12 AM
Bob Walsh

Old 27-09-2004, 01:52 AM
Paul Simon

Check out the angraecoid orchids. Most of them are fragrant, almost all in
the early evening. Some of the fragrant ones are small enough for a
windowsill but others grow to very, very large plants.

Paul

Old 27-09-2004, 02:42 AM
Eric Hunt

Hi,

Most anything in the Stanhopea alliance are strongly spicy fragrant. My
favorites are Gongoras for scent. They're stupidly easy to grow if you have
any kind of greenhouse and they bloom like gangbusters all summer long.

Many Sobralias are strongly fragrant.

I could go on and on. =) I am sure someone else will continue the list.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Old 27-09-2004, 02:45 AM
danny

Phal. violacea, Phal. bellina have great fragrance
Maxillaria rufescens (smells like vanilla)
Gongora atropurpurea (smells like cinnamon to me). Many Gongoras are nicely
fragrant.
-danny

Old 27-09-2004, 10:35 AM
Ray

I split the scent category in two - the "perfumes" and the "naturals."

The "naturals" range from the cinnamon of Lycaste aromatica, to the vanilla
of most tricolor Sharry Baby clones, the chocolate of SB 'Sweet Fragrance',
coconut of Max tenuifolia, etc., and seem to be overall more pleasant than
the perfumes, as they can be light (most catt perfumes) to overwhelming,
like Zygopetalum mackayii in a closed space!

..
. ..