Old 28-09-2004, 03:52 AM
NOOK

Default Life ill Kill Ya

Got a pile of flasks in from AUS about a week befor leavin for Costa
Rica. Deflasked five others from other places that had to come out
just before leaving.Taught my wife how to care for all the grown ups
and freshly compoted and what to look for in case she had to deflask
anybody while I was away. Left her everthing sanitized and presoked.
She did a GREAT job!!! She did not have to deflask any.
The night before leaving I notice water downstairs coming from the
toilet above. Shut off the water and drained, told her I would deal
with it when I retuned.
No huricane wether in Costa Rica, it was beutiful, beach was fab,
hicking was great, swingin through the tree tops was cool, laying by
the pool was evan better!
Come home to find a flood (Ivan) had washed away all my stone work
down one side of the house. I'm talking large stone 2 to 3 inch thick,
and 2 to 3 feet across, many back breaking hours of laying and tiering
to get down to the back yard!
Water came within 2 inches of coming in the front door.
20 foot section of waterproofed cinder block wall pushed down by the
force of water downstairs.
My wife said the whole downstairs was 3 inches deep in water once the
wall broke free. I beleive her cause there is dirt in every far corner
of the place.
The propagation room has dirt in all its corners and the water has to
get at least 2 inches high for it to flow over the lip of the entrance
to the room.
Several friends called to see how she was doing, then the second
question out of there mouth was "and how are his orchids"?
Now I have a $13,000 bill to pay to fix my wall, drains, landscape,
and furniture! WHAT A VACATION!!
Fixed the toilet upstairs today. Started on the clean up of
downstairs, built a 20 foot long sand bag wall around the collapsed
wall cause it will be NOV. 10th before the crew can get to me to dig
out my old drains and rebuild the wall, and it is raining heavy
outside now! (latest tropical storm)
I know I am lucky, a lot of people have it a lot worse right now,
many people in my neiborhood have trees down in the yard or right
through the house!! And I did not loose one orchid! But I'm in atl GA
I shouldn't have this much storm to deal with dang it!
I feel for all you growers in FLA.
Oh yeh I'll save my story of tryin to get through customs here with
flask orchids for a later date.

Like my subject line says..... (Waren Zevon album and song title)

Old 28-09-2004, 04:00 AM
wendy7

Hello Nook, Yes you are one of the lucky ones.
Did you have flood insurance?
Your wife deserves a medal & you need to take her
on vacation. *g*

--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply