Old 29-09-2004, 03:07 AM
Lise Sedrez

Default dendrobium newbie...

My husband gave me a beautiful orchid last week--the label says it is a
dendrobium orchid. As soon as we arrived home, I dutifully hit the
internet trying to find out as much as possible on orchid care. Yet,
less than four days after we brought it home , my orchid is loosing its
leaves. the leaves become wet, losing that firm texture, and fall. The
blossoms are still beuatiful.

Now, I know that overwatering is the most common sin for beginners. But
I did the soil test (poking my finger in the soil up to the second
knuckle). I watered it (with fertilizer) only on hte first day and today
(very little) four days later. I live in Virginia, so humidity is not a
problem. the temperature seems right, as well. One problem is that my
house doesn't get much light--I placed the orchid in the brightest
corner I could find, but it doesn't mean much. Yet I doubt that three
days with little light would be eno0ugh for the leaves to fall.

Could you help me please? I did try to an answer in the internet and in
"wrinkled leaves", and maybe this is it. But in this case, the leaves
actually fall.

Thanks for your help.

Best,

Lise

Old 30-09-2004, 01:27 AM
Tom Randy

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 22:07:37 -0400, Lise Sedrez wrote:

[...]

First off is it in regular potting soil? If so you need to get it in
orchid bark mix ASAP. Your local garden center or Home Depot/Lowes should
have it. Secondly, Dens need a LOT of light, a sunlit south or east/west
window.

Also, here are a few places on the web to start your orchid learning:

http://retirees.uwaterloo.ca/~jerry/orchids/osites.html

http://www.orchidlady.com/index.html#top

http://www.orchidmall.com/

Tom

Old 30-09-2004, 04:24 PM
Lise Sedrez

Tom, thank you so much. No, it is not regular pot soil, I think it is
bark mix. I put the poor baby in my front porch, the only place with
some light. I don't know what I will do during hte winter, though.

Thank you for the links--I will look at them today, and maybe find an
orchid that doesn't require too much light.

Best,

Lise

Old 01-10-2004, 02:29 AM
Mark Blomeke

Make sure the pot has holes in the bottom so that the water drains out,
otherwise the little water you put in will cause root rot, as the water
would have no place to go.

Old 01-10-2004, 04:31 AM
Lise Sedrez

Just checked, Mark, and it seems that water drains well. In one of the
the first websites I visited, they suggested that after watering the
orchid with tepid water, I should leave it at the sink for 15 minutes,
to make sure all water excess drains off. That is what I have been doing .

I suppose watering twice a week (if it is not too hot) is enough, isn't it?

Thanks for your message. Best,

Lise

Old 01-10-2004, 01:49 PM
Wendy

Hello & welcome Lise, You may have a Nobile type dendrobium? Some lose
their leaves & go dormant for 2 to 3 months.
Sounds like you are watering too much. Orchids need filtered
sunlight all day also fresh air. I can't grow indoors because of this.
Wish I could help more.
Cheers Wendy

Old 01-10-2004, 03:33 PM
Lise Sedrez

Hi, Wendy, (thank you for the welcome!)

Wendy wrote:
Hello & welcome Lise, You may have a Nobile type dendrobium? Some lose
their leaves & go dormant for 2 to 3 months.

I am not sure of the tipe: it is white and purple, very tall (about 70
cm), but it doesn't look like it is going dormant. The blossoms are
still firm and some of them have yet to open.

Sounds like you are watering too much. Orchids need filtered
sunlight all day also fresh air. I can't grow indoors because of this.

Good point about the fresh air. I put the orchid in my porch--there is
not direct sunlight, but it gets good air circulation. I am just
concerned about the winter. I think it worked because in the three days
since I moved it, not one leave has fallen, while it lost about one
leave per day in the previous four days.

Wish I could help more.

You did help a lot! thank you so much
Best,

Lise

Cheers Wendy

Old 03-10-2004, 11:29 PM
Diana Kulaga

Hi, Lise,

Aside from the accurate comments on light and air circulation, there is also
a matter of micro climates. Orchids do not particularly like to be abruptly
moved from one environment to another, so it is possible that your
Dendrobium sulked for a while. I grow outside, so I am not one to advise
about supplemental lighting for inside the house, but many here in this ng
know a lot about that subject. You might want to start a new thread about
that; I'm sure you'd get plenty of advice.

Also, you asked about orchids that grow in household light. Phalaenopsis
orchids can be grown in much lower light conditions than Dends, and when
they bloom they last for many months. Very rewarding for indoor growers!

HTH, and welcome to the group.

Diana

Old 11-10-2004, 03:13 AM
Lise Sedrez

Diana, thank you for the welcome. And I am here to ask again for help...
my den is suffering and I don't know what to do. I could find much
help in the sites--or maybe I couldn't see how their advice apply.

I willmake sure that my next orchid is a Phalaendopsis or other shadow
tolerant species, but I hate to see the one I have right now suffering.
the leaves are not becaming yellowish. I am carefully controlling the
watering, but I am still in a catch-22 situation: if I leave it (I
named the orchid Henriette) outside, the nights are too cold; if I leave
it inside, there is not enough light and air circulation. So my husband
and I are moving her outside every morning, and back inside before dark.
Of course, it goes exactly against your advice: we are changing her
environment everyday! But I really don't know what to do.

Is there any light I could buy to keep it inside? I have a lamp close to
her (normal light, 100 watts). WOuld it be enough just to leave it on
for four hours per day? or do i need a special light.

Thanks!

Best,

lise

Old 11-10-2004, 10:43 PM
J Fortuna

Lise,
Since others have not responded yet, just a quick note: A normal 100 watt
light bulb does not provide the right spectrum for orchids. You could get
fluorescent light tubes, a combination of "warm" and "cool" light tubes--
these are normal fluorescent tubes, but two different types that together
provide a fuller light spectrum. Or get a "daylight" spectrum light bulb --
for example the one made by AgroSun. Also, 4 hours would not be nearly
enough light if you are using artificial light to grow your orchid -- since
artificial light is not nearly as efficient as sunlight, you need much
longer exposure, when growing under artificial lights. I tend to turn on my
plant lights in the morning and turn them off 12-14 hours later. However,
even with artificial lights, I don't know whether you could provide enough
light for the dendrobium, since my understanding is that they do like lots
of light, but then again I don't really know dendrobiums (I grow mostly
Phals and Paphs). I hope someone with more experience will give you a better
answer soon.
Best,
Joanna

Old 12-10-2004, 06:36 AM
Burr Nelson

Lise
Look for plant lights. I have a hooded one that's good for my phals
on cloudy days and hardware stores sell the right replacement bulbs.
Also if Harriet is still under the weather, take her to your local
greenhouse. They'll be able to see her in person and give you a
diagnosis.
I visited my sister in Dallas this past week and when we were
working at this party the bar had a dendrobium on it. At first it was
so beautiful I thought it was fake but later realized it was real.
Yellow with a red lip. When I asked the owner where she got it she said
the florist down the street furnished the flowers and they said, "Oh,
you need an orchid on your bar!" I think they had good taste. They say
in this group, " there's always room for one more orchid." I tend to
agree and enjoy all six of mine. Burr