Old 26-09-2004, 03:02 AM
Lori Siegmund

Default Peristeria Elata Questions

Hi Everyone,

Over Labor Day weekend I acquired a Peristeria Elata. What a plant it
is! The spike measures 57" and the bulbs are the size of softballs!
It looks like a Lycaste on steroids!

I got it home alright in the Passat. A few of the leaves got a little
sunburn spots on them as it was 95 degrees and sunny on the 15 minute
drive home from the local orchid place.

As the blooms are now starting to fade (three weeks now since I bought
it), the leaves on the two bulbs are starting to fade also. Is this
normal? Should I cut off the leaves after the blooms completely fade
on the spike, or should I let them fall off on their own?

There are two large, healthy bulbs with leaves and two large, healthy
looking but leafless backbulbs. It will need to be repotted once it
finishes its blooms.

Thought I'd check with y'all first, and if necessary I will contact
George Stagi at Maplethorpe Orchids where I purchased it to see what
he has to say.

Thanks for any feedback and other growing tips on this very different
species orchid (aka the Holy Ghost Orchid; National Flower of
Panama).

Lori

Aralia elata RIP p.k. United Kingdom 3 15-05-2006 06:56 PM
Peristeria Elata Questions Lori Siegmund Orchids 4 07-10-2004 05:53 AM
?questions?questions? (noob) rasta Ponds 0 15-01-2004 05:39 PM