Old 02-10-2004, 12:32 AM
J Fortuna

Default Intergeneric Onc Hybrid: to buy or not to buy?

My local plant nursery has some really attractive intergeneric hybrids for
sale, including Bllra Marfitch 'Howard's Dream' and Colm Wildcat, and I am
quite tempted to buy one of them, however I would not want to buy them if my
conditions are such that they couldn't possibly do well.

I grow on the windowsills or rather on shelves next to north-facing windows.
I supplement this with growlamps so that I can achieve medium light right
under a lamp, but I am not sure whether I could have medium light at leaf
level for a Bllra since they are rather tall plants. So the light is low to
medium, but mostly low.

The temps in our apartment are usually around 70-80 degrees Fahrenheit.
Sometimes in the summer the air-conditioning doesn't work though and then it
can be in the upper 80s or in the low 90s for a short period of time. In the
winters, especially at night the temp might be in the 60s.

Humidity-wise we try to keep it above 50% at all times -- easy in the
summer, harder but doable in the winter.

I successfully grow Phals, Dtps, Paphs, and a cochleanthes (though the last
has a bud-blasting habit, it's currently blooming and has a chance at a
second successful bud at this point, so I guess it counts as a success
though the conditions are definitely not ideal for it). I have never tried
anything else yet.

Based on all this would you advise me to go ahead and try an intergeneric
Onc hybrid, or should I leave it alone? I am also considering getting a
miniature cattleya at some point and putting it right under a lamp. Anything
else I could try in these conditions? It's really important to me that I
don't get something that does not really have a chance at flourishing here,
but I am feeling like experimenting a bit with non-Phals.

Your advice will be greatly appreciated!

Joanna

Old 02-10-2004, 02:58 AM
GrlIntrpted

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
My local plant nursery has some really attractive intergeneric hybrids for
sale, including Bllra Marfitch 'Howard's Dream' and Colm Wildcat, and I am
quite tempted to buy one of them, however I would not want to buy them if

my
conditions are such that they couldn't possibly do well.

I live in New York City, and consider myself a window sill grower though I
take many of the orchids into the outdoors to spend the summer.
In the winter, obviously they are all indoors and majority get a western
exposure, and some direct southern exposure (the Catts, some Dendrobiums,
intergeneric hybrids [ which btw I can't stand lately ]). The Bllra
Marfitch 'Howard's Dream' and Colm Wildcat as well as Bllra Peggy Ruth
Carpenter get to spend the summer in the outdoors as well but in the winter,
they sit on the Southern exposure side, about 4 feet away from the window
sill. It's fairly dry in my home during the winter, and they're not very
active during that time. In the summer they spend in the outdoors, in direct
sunlight from around 10am until noon, and then I move them to a bright spot
with no direct sun (They are in the back yard of my business so I can
shuffle and move the outdoor plants as needed) The Bllra Marfitch 'Howard's
Dream' & the Bllra 'Peggy Ruth Carpenter' are blooming for the second time
in less than 5 months. The Wildcat bloomed twice too in one year, but took
a very long time to rebloom the second spike! I really am not certain if
temperature flactuations are as important for the intergeneric hybs as they
are for some Dendrobs and Phals.

Based on all this would you advise me to go ahead and try an intergeneric
Onc hybrid, or should I leave it alone?

I think that they're pretty, some can be drop dead gorgeous, but for me
personally, they no longer hold the appeal as they did before. Focusing on
species is so much more fun and challenging!

I am also considering getting a
miniature cattleya at some point and putting it right under a lamp.

Anything
else I could try in these conditions?

I don't know, Catts just don't want to do well for me. I just can't get
them to bloom despite the great green growth, and healthy root systems. I
subject them to direct light, to bright light, moved them from one area to
another, chilled them, warmed them, NADA, I get absolutely nothing! I don't
know, maybe they just don't like me .

Mariana

Old 02-10-2004, 03:13 AM
Dave Sheehy

J Fortuna ) wrote:
[...]

My growing conditions sound *very* similar to yours except I don't supplement
with additional lighting. Most of my plants are in an east facing window
which gets plenty of light but I also have a north facing window that gets
enough natural light to grow phals in.

Like you I have been branching out and experimenting with other orchids I
might possibly be able to grow there as well. Last spring I bought a Burr(?
I think that's right) 'Stephan Isler' and put it in that north window with
the phals. It's too soon to report any success other than it is growing well.
The new growth has done well and the pb is starting to flesh out nicely so
I'm pretty encouraged. I won't know if it'll bloom until next spring/summer.

Up until recently I have killed every single Onc species or intergeneric
hybrid I ever tried. You see, I'm a classic under-waterer and every plant
of this type that I had tried up till now was potted in lava rock. Combine
those 2 things and you have a pretty good recipe for killing this type of
plant. Nowadays, I make sure these guys are potted in media with better
water retention (e.g. bark if potted and a *big* wad of spagnum if mounted)
and I try to be more generous in my watering technique. That seems to have
done the trick for me.

Hope that helps some. I'm not far enough along to help much more.

: Based on all this would you advise me to go ahead and try an intergeneric
: Onc hybrid, or should I leave it alone? I am also considering getting a
: miniature cattleya at some point and putting it right under a lamp. Anything
: else I could try in these conditions? It's really important to me that I
: don't get something that does not really have a chance at flourishing here,
: but I am feeling like experimenting a bit with non-Phals.

I guess it depends on how much you value your record for not having killed any
orchids yet. ;-)

Seriously though, my experience so far suggests that you stand a pretty good
chance of success as long as you pick something that fits your lighting
regime.

Dave

Old 02-10-2004, 03:26 AM
Susan Erickson

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 22:32:17 GMT, "J Fortuna"
wrote:

I successfully grow Phals, Dtps, Paphs, and a cochleanthes (though the last
has a bud-blasting habit, it's currently blooming and has a chance at a
second successful bud at this point, so I guess it counts as a success
though the conditions are definitely not ideal for it). I have never tried
anything else yet.

Based on all this would you advise me to go ahead and try an intergeneric
Onc hybrid, or should I leave it alone? I am also considering getting a
miniature cattleya at some point and putting it right under a lamp. Anything
else I could try in these conditions? It's really important to me that I
don't get something that does not really have a chance at flourishing here,
but I am feeling like experimenting a bit with non-Phals.

Your advice will be greatly appreciated!

Joanna

Joanna -
Some of the little catts are hybridized for windowsills. Send an
email to or look for Alan from Gold Country. He plans on his
plants blooming next to phals and with that type of light.

As to the large Onc. hybrids - I would skip them. They are or at
least can be HUGE. They like lots of light. I grow mine with
the Ascda. and full sized catts.

I think some of the Encyclia are less demanding of strong light,
but I may get contradicted. I have not had a lost recently.
SuE
Old 02-10-2004, 06:26 AM
Pat Brennan

Joanna,

What are you thinking? The NCOS show is next weekend. I would be saving my
pennies for that.

Pat

Old 02-10-2004, 01:44 PM
Al

Indeed. You are so close. If you miss it you will be sorry. Plan to go.

I don't know why I can't find a link to the show information... But I know
it should be someplace

Old 02-10-2004, 03:29 PM
J Fortuna

Pat,
I have been saving for the NCOS show for a while now, but being an orchid
addict, I fear I may not be able to keep the craving in check for another
long 7 days. I'm ready to buy another orchid now. But never fear I plan to
go to the show, and plan to buy orchids there then, but if I buy one, just
one, before then, is that so wrong?
Joanna

Old 02-10-2004, 03:31 PM
J Fortuna

It's at the National Arboretum, I believe, and I think it starts on Saturday
at 10am and goes on for three days. See, I know about it. It's just so hard
to keep that craving in check for another week, and that plant nursery is
conveniently located on my way from work to home, so it only makes sense to
stop by, right?
Joanna

news

Old 02-10-2004, 05:43 PM
Pat Brennan

Actually sales will start this year Friday evening for NCOS members at the
preview party. The sales tent now has lights and bar code pricing. The
preview party and the annual bus trip to the New York show is worth the NCOS
membership fee alone.

As for buying a plant now. Buy now, buy later, buy often. North facing
windows are hard to work with. It might be time to start thinking about
finding an east window or upgrading the lights. If they still make them,
the Wonderbulb is a cheap and easy next step in lighting.

Pat

Old 02-10-2004, 06:07 PM
wendy7

Pat, please tell us more about this Wonderbulb?

--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 02-10-2004, 07:24 PM
Pat Brennan

Google did not turn up any hits on wonderbulb or wunderbulb, maybe someone
else knows if they still exist. But it looks like the same or similar
product is being marketed as the Agrosun Power-Gro. The Wonderbulb was a
dual type bulb that screwed into a normal incandescent socket rated for a
150 watt light bulb. The bulb was dual in that it used an incandescent
light to 'activate' another type of light source. I just do not remember
the details. What the bulb was was a self ballasted high output grow light
that costs about $60. It did cost a little more to run that the ballasted
high output lights, but not that much more. I grew under one for a few
years and found I could grow things I could not with fluorescents. It lit
maybe a four foot by four foot area.

Pat

Old 03-10-2004, 07:59 PM
William Hill

[...]

Hi Joanna, I would say--go for the intergenerics!!! That's all we
really grow (some others) but I have found the Oncidium family to be
easiest & most prolific bloomers. Never have tried growing indoors but
after Francis & Jeanne (hurricanes) I have several thousand plants
that wish I had. But they are survivors. You can find a care sheet on
my website: http://www.orchidislandorchids.com It will tell you how we
grow them--then you just adapt !! Marfitch is one of the best purples
in the family--some wildcats are good too & there are a few that are
tougher. If I can ever help with culture- just email me at:
william-30529@ msn.com Bill
Old 04-10-2004, 08:15 PM
GaWd

My Colmanara Wildcat is in spike right now and I can't wait. I love it!

Sam

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
[...]

Ladybirds again.. to buy or not to buy Mentalguy2k8[_2_] United Kingdom 15 18-05-2011 08:17 PM
Bumblebees!! To buy or not to buy... That is the question! Pest Effects United Kingdom 0 15-05-2011 08:23 AM
Intergeneric Onc Hybrid: to buy or not to buy? J Fortuna Orchids 0 02-10-2004 12:32 AM
hybrid T not taking John Roses 4 17-03-2004 03:41 AM
hybrid T not taking John Roses 0 15-03-2004 04:58 AM