Old 09-10-2004, 08:53 AM
Xi Wang

Default Pollination Query

Hi all,

I recently (Oct 3 evening) selfed one of my Dtps. Sogo Pearl plants. On
Oct. 7, I noticed that the flower had begun to shrivel, but checking
last night, the pollen still have not been enveloped by the column. I
have never had a failed pollination, and so never took care to observe
the proper sequence of events - which happens first: the shriveling of
the flowers, or the envelopment of the pollen? If the former is
supposed to occur first, then I will wait a few more days. However, if
the latter is supposed to happen first, then in all likelihood, the
shriveling is due to the fact that the flower had its pollen removed,
and not due to a successful pollination. It has been 5 days, and while
I cannot exactly recall, it is my impression that the pollen were
engulfed in less time than that, and hence my suspicions that things
didn't pan out this time. Any advice is welcome.

PS. I am aware from past experince that the shriveling patterns for
normal floral dehiscence and one that's due to pollination are
different. For example, with pollination, shriveling of the sepals and
petals are not complete, but part of the proximal portion remains
turgid. However, it is too early righ now to differentiate between the
two cases using this method.

TIA,
Xi