Old 10-10-2004, 08:50 PM
Alf

Default Autumn Ladies' Tresses

Hi

Spiranthes spiralis - Autumn Ladies' Tresses. Thought it was time I
put pictures of these on a web page to share.

http://peake42.freeserve.co.uk/orchid.htm

Had these growing wild in my lawn, 200+ at times, for over 30 years.
Located Gower, South Wales (UK). Tried moving them to other parts of
garden (seeds like brown dust or the corms, both with soil) but they
just won't play They appear 1st half of August and last about 3
weeks despite the lawn mower. Around 16cm/6" tall. Leaves small,
roundish, disappear before flowering.

Enjoy

Alf

Old 10-10-2004, 09:01 PM
Alf

"Alf" wrote in message

http://peake42.freeserve.co.uk/orchid.htm

Oooops... sorry - try
http://www.peake42.freeserve.co.uk/orchid.htm

Alf

Old 15-10-2004, 04:45 PM
Ray

Very cool.

They may not be the showiest things on the face of the earth, but having
native orchids growing nearby is one of these "MasterCard moments" -
priceless.

(Sorry if the TV ad doesn't translate across the pond, but you get my point)

..

Old 15-10-2004, 06:49 PM
Reka

Don't worry, Ray, we have had the ad in German, so I suppose the UK has had it to. Isn't globalism wonderful?
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

.
"Alf" wrote in message

"Alf" wrote in message

http://peake42.freeserve.co.uk/orchid.htm

Oooops... sorry - try
http://www.peake42.freeserve.co.uk/orchid.htm

Alf

---

Old 15-10-2004, 08:54 PM
Alf

"Ray" wrote in message
Very cool.

:c)

They may not be the showiest things on the face of the earth, but
having

They are supposed to have a strong scent, but I've not found anything.
Guess my ancient nose is not up to it.

native orchids growing nearby is one of these "MasterCard moments" -
priceless.

(Sorry if the TV ad doesn't translate across the pond, but you get
my point)

I'm not a TV man but I know the term. Almost certainly the ad has been
seen in UK.

BTW - I believe most orchids require a specific fungus which helps the
seeds to get started? Would you know where _my_ fungus is located -
airbourne, on the parent plant or in the soil? Local nature and
wildlife groups, and myself, have been unable to propagate them. Even
transplanting a corm (tuber?) with leaves in March fails.

--
Alf

http://www.peake42.freeserve.co.uk/
http://www.qsl.net/gw3srg/

Old 16-10-2004, 02:46 AM
Ray

It's probably soil-borne, and to my understanding, most are VERY particular
about the soil chemistry.

..
"Alf" wrote in message
"Ray" wrote in message
Very cool.

:c)

Old 16-10-2004, 02:46 AM
Ray

It's probably soil-borne, and to my understanding, most are VERY particular
about the soil chemistry.

..
"Alf" wrote in message
"Ray" wrote in message
Very cool.

:c)

[...]

Nov 11 - Autumn Leaves Autumn Sky_8129.jpg John - Pa. Garden Photos 0 11-11-2007 10:10 PM
Autumn Ladies' Tresses Alf United Kingdom 1 10-10-2004 09:02 PM
Happy Father's Day to us? Even if the Ladies don't care! Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 8 22-06-2004 12:06 PM
OT for the Ladies KenCo Ponds 11 17-12-2003 06:36 PM
Blushing old ladies and young maidens, with boxes of spring scattered about madgarder Gardening 10 01-04-2003 12:44 PM