Old 16-10-2004, 05:00 PM
Everett B. Simonds

Default Phalaenopsis Light Requirements

I'm fairly new to orchids, I have two phalaenopsis that were given to me this
past spring.

I'm in Dallas, TX and the daytime temperature is now in the upper 70's - lower
80's with nights in the 50's.

I've moved my orchids outside, and noticed that for an hour or two (at most)
they are in direct sunlight. Later in the morning, they are in dappled
sunlight as the sun is blocked by a tree.

Will this hurt them, or should I move them into a shded area?

Thanks.

Everett

Old 16-10-2004, 05:17 PM
Ray

It's hard to say for sure, but early morning sunshine is not likely to be a
problem when the plant is still cool from nighttime. Generally I avoid any
direct sun on phals, but the occasional beam isn't that much of an issue,
unless it's warm enough that the leave start to pale and burn.

..

Old 16-10-2004, 05:19 PM

Everett,

Be sure to read up on phal. orchids. You have to treat them
diferent than you would normal houseplants. Like don't let water stand
in the overflow dishes and let them dry out almost all the way before
watering them. As for sunlight, be careful, phals. can't handle too
much direct sunlight, it'll burn them. I heard where people put their
hand above them to see if it cast a shadow on the plant or not. Best
thing is difused sunlight like a shear curtain or blind where the
sunlight isn't so intense. I keep mine in an east window where they get
the morning sun through a blind and then light the rest of the day.
Also get a plant light for cloudy days. Good luck......Burr

Old 16-10-2004, 05:28 PM
tbell

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 09:00:22 -0700, Everett B. Simonds wrote
(in article ):

I'm fairly new to orchids, I have two phalaenopsis that were given to me this

past spring.

I'm in Dallas, TX and the daytime temperature is now in the upper 70's -
lower
80's with nights in the 50's.

I've moved my orchids outside, and noticed that for an hour or two (at most)
they are in direct sunlight. Later in the morning, they are in dappled
sunlight as the sun is blocked by a tree.

Will this hurt them, or should I move them into a shded area?

Thanks.

Everett

I'm far from an expert, but I'd be concerned about exposing a phal to direct
sunlight. The leaves tend to sunburn very easily, and dappled light would be
better.

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon CP 5700