Old 16-10-2004, 09:43 PM
Joan

Default A budding spike broke during shipping

I ordered my very first orchid, an orange Epidendrum Orchid from Smith
and Hawken. When it arrived, I noticed that a tiny spike with
clustered buds had broken off from the tallest stem with a four-inch
long spike (there are three other stems, much shorter and no spikes).
Smith and Hawken will send me another orchid. But meanwhile, what do I
do with the long healthy spike from which the buds had broken off? Do
I cut it back or let it turn brown?

During my google search I've noticed that many websites don't mention
an Epidendrum orchid when they explain on how to grow different types
of orchids. Is Epidendrum in the same family as the Cattleya?

-Joan
Old 16-10-2004, 10:00 PM
Gene Schurg

Joan,

Unfortunately there is no magic bullet to save the spike. If it is not
completely severed from the plant you could try to put a wire splint in the
pot and tie the spike to the splint.

If this won't work cut it off where the spike is broken and it may send out
another branch if there are buds below the break that are sleeping. I don't
think Epi's normally have branching spikes so I doubt you will get another
branch on this plant.

Otherwise, give it lots of light and care for it appropriately and you
should enjoy blooms in the future.

It is very difficult to ship orchids in spike and bloom. At least S&H will
send you another plant to enjoy.

Good Growing,
Gene

Old 17-10-2004, 05:25 PM
Susan Erickson

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 21:00:35 GMT, "Gene Schurg"
wrote:

Joan,

Unfortunately there is no magic bullet to save the spike. If it is not
completely severed from the plant you could try to put a wire splint in the
pot and tie the spike to the splint.

If this won't work cut it off where the spike is broken and it may send out
another branch if there are buds below the break that are sleeping. I don't
think Epi's normally have branching spikes so I doubt you will get another
branch on this plant.

Otherwise, give it lots of light and care for it appropriately and you
should enjoy blooms in the future.

It is very difficult to ship orchids in spike and bloom. At least S&H will
send you another plant to enjoy.

Good Growing,
Gene

Although you don't normally expect reed stem Epi to branch; I
have a friend who cut all her's for a funeral arrangement. They
all rebloomed. Since I have been paying more attention to mine.
There seems to be as much reason to believe they will as not.

Good Luck.
SuE

Old 18-10-2004, 03:38 PM
Joan

wrote:

[...]

To Gene, the one-inch budding spike tip was broken off completely from
the tallest stem. I found it inside the shipping box. So there is no
chance in salvaging that budding spike. BTW, there are no other buds
at all on that spike from which the tip had broken from.

To Sue, that's amusing that one can be "abusive" in cutting all the
stems while the other can "baby" the same kind of plant and have
different results. It is also scary in a sense that you don't know
what is the right approach.

Before I continue, I want to share with you what I have learned so
far. I had done some further google-research about my orchid and
determined that it is a reed-stem 'Epidendrum secundum'.

The following quotes are taken from the September 1998 issue of
'Orchids' (the magazine of the American Orchid Society) written by
Andy Phillips and Cynthia Hill:

"'Epidendrum secundum' (Andes of South America) has an upright,
clumping growth habit with roots emerging from the base of the stems,
at or below soil level. It readily forms keikis on old flower spikes.
The leafy stems range from 1 to 30 inches, producing a ball of 30 to
40 brilliantly colored 1-inch flowers on 18 inch terminal spikes."

"('Epidendrums') are easily propagated, yielding many plants from one
stem,"
"To keep your reed-stem plant tidy, remove old flower spikes and stems
down to the base by snapping them clean with your fingers or cutting
with sterile clippers. This makes room for strong, new basal growths,
while discouraging keikis from forming that produce shorter, smaller
spikes and turn into messy, tangled plants if left untended. Plants
grown in low light may need to be staked, while those growing in full
sun are usually self-supporting."

Since I'm going to receive a replacement, I might as well take chances
with the one I have. I want to cut off that tall stem with a broken
spike to its base. My question is this, where do I exactly cut the
stem? Just how far above the root?

Joan

Old 18-10-2004, 05:45 PM
Susan Erickson

On 18 Oct 2004 07:38:14 -0700, (Joan)
wrote:
[...]

Mine was blooming at about 5 feet tall when I purchased it. It
now blooms at a height over 6 feet and shades the south end of
the walk in the gh. Guess I will have to get in and 'clean' it
up next year. I have just let it go. I have not noticed any
keikies on it. But I have not looked for them. It has roots
here and there up to about 8" above the pot.
SuE

Old 18-10-2004, 05:50 PM
Joan

wrote:

[...]

Sue,

I should have previewed my latest message (this morning, Oct 18)
before posting it. My response to you could be misconstrued. When I
said "It is also scary in a sense that you don't know what is the
right approach", what I really meant was that one doesn't know what is
the right approach. It has nothing to do with you personally. Sorry
for the mistake.

Joan

Old 18-10-2004, 05:50 PM
Joan

wrote:

[...]

I broke the flower spike!! YvonneD Orchids 6 17-02-2010 04:54 PM
to let spike or not to let spike? J Fortuna Orchids 15 05-12-2005 03:38 AM
broke Phal spike, again :-( J Fortuna Orchids 1 25-02-2005 05:46 PM
spike spike spike J Fortuna Orchids 2 04-09-2004 06:43 PM
deer broke off top of tree; how to reattach Lyne Gardening 5 04-10-2003 07:12 AM