Old 21-10-2004, 05:14 AM
Noochka One

Default Mealybugs on Paphs - HELP!!!

Hi all,

I'm new to the group so if this question has been recently asked and
answered, please excuse me: Has anyone tried using a commercial "bug
bomb" such as Raid or Black Flag to treat insect infestations on large
numbers of plants? My collection of paphs has become infested with
mealbugs and nothing I use seems to be having any effect. Can anyone
offer any insight or suggest another method of treating these critters
in bulk?
Old 21-10-2004, 11:31 AM
Ray

I would be wary of using a household "bomb" on a collection of plants. They
are designed to kill bugs in structures, not plant collections.

I would use a two-step approach: Orthene WP as a knock-down, immediate
killer (it is also systemic, so will have some residual action), then Enstar
II, an insect growth regulator, which prevents maturation - hence
reproduction - to rid the collection of the critters entirely.

..
. ..

Old 21-10-2004, 02:45 PM
TRAINMAN9

I would be wary of using a household "bomb" on a collection of plants. They
are designed to kill bugs in structures, not plant collections.

I would agree but before recommending an insecticide I think you need to know
what the growing conditions are. I don't think you want to use Orthene if
growing in the house as opposed to growing in a greenhouse.

Secondly after treating the problem I think you need to review the growing
methods and reduce the overall need for using chemical methods to control
insects. Mealybugs thrive in dry conditions as do many other pests. Eliminate
the poor conditions and you may eliminate the problem.

It may be necessary to remove the plants from their pots and drench them in an
insecticide mixture rather than just spraying.

I would recommend Knox-Out which is a safer product overall than some others.
It is micro-encapsulated diazanon and has a two to three week residual effect
and then breaks down. In addition it will not harm flowers or damage leaves on
orchids like some other products can.

Old 21-10-2004, 03:47 PM
Rob Halgren

Ray wrote:

I would be wary of using a household "bomb" on a collection of plants. They
are designed to kill bugs in structures, not plant collections.

I would use a two-step approach: Orthene WP as a knock-down, immediate
killer (it is also systemic, so will have some residual action), then Enstar
II, an insect growth regulator, which prevents maturation - hence
reproduction - to rid the collection of the critters entirely.

I completely agree. The two step approach seems to do the best for
me as well. For a badly infested plant, I unpot it, dump the whole
plant in a 5 gallon bucket with the appropriate concentration of
orthene, and let it soak for 5 or 10 minutes before repotting. If it is
dear to me, and that is harder and harder to find these days. Usually I
pitch a badly infested plant into the compost.

I'll spray (not soak, that takes too long) the whole collection
after finding more than one plant with mealies (I hate mealies). They
usually come in on new plants. I usually spray at a few times with
orthene at an appropriate interval, and then a few times with enstar or
one of the other growth regulators. I've been accused of overkill in
the past, but since I only spray after I see a problem (very
infrequently, so far) I probably use far less pesticide than if I
sprayed on a schedule.

As for bug bombs, the 'inert ingredients' - 90+% of the 'bomb' are
often far more toxic to plants than the actual active ingredient. It
depends on what is in there, and they don't always have to list that on
the label. I wouldn't count on a formula designed for use on non-living
things (furniture, carpets, etc) to be suitable for plants. Might work,
but I would rather sleep well at night. Besides, some of those bug
bombs are more expensive than greenhouse pesticides.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open - e-mail me for a list )

Old 22-10-2004, 02:02 AM
V_coerulea

I addition I would look for the ants that are probably the culprits
responsible for spread the mealies around. Mealybugs don't usually move too
far or too fast on their own. Young mealies can be quickly "sown" throughout
an entire collection in a short time by ants. I've seen it happen even
indoors. I think it pays to make absolutely certain that ants are not a
player in this scene. It's very discouraging to take the time and effort to
"eradicate" the mealybugs only to find them completely reinfested a month or
2 later.
Gary

.

Old 22-10-2004, 05:20 AM
wendy7

There is an aerosol bomb insecticide for use in greenhouses but
I lost the info. I know it was from somebody in our group & the cans
were very expensive & had to buy in bulk?
Hoping who ever it was reads this.

--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 22-10-2004, 10:11 AM
Jerry Hoffmeister

Hi Scott,

I've used the bombs before, not sure how much they helped but they didn't
(in my case at least) hurt the plants.

I saw your post in ABPO - where in Seattle are you? I'm in West Seattle...
Interested in the local orchid society? http://www.nwos.org/

Jerry

Old 22-10-2004, 11:44 AM
Ray

I have used both Knox-Out (microencapsulated diazinon) and microencapsulated
Orthene bombs. I am not convinced that they are as effective as a good
soaking with spray. It seems logical though, as it's easier to apply a
spray under leaf surfaces...

..

Mealybugs Eric G United Kingdom 21 19-12-2004 01:03 PM
Mealybugs on Paphs - HELP!!! Noochka One Orchids 0 21-10-2004 05:14 AM
Mealybugs on Paphs - HELP!!! Noochka One Orchids 0 21-10-2004 05:14 AM
Mealybugs, HELP IiSpankyii Orchids 17 11-01-2004 01:32 AM
Scale/Mealybugs and Orchids Brian Vogel Orchids 1 17-11-2003 05:22 PM