Old 29-10-2004, 05:32 PM
Peter Aitken

Default Humidity tray source?

Can someone point me to an online source for humidity trays? I'm not having
any luck locally. THanks.

--
Peter Aitken

Old 29-10-2004, 08:04 PM
francis marion

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "Humidity trays". For my trays I went
to a local nursery and bought a couple of the dark green/black plastic trays
that gardeners use to start seeds from.

They are about 24" long x 12" deep x 3 "tall. Place an inch or so of clean,
washed gravel and add water. I then take a piece of the plastic "egg-crate"
white, plastic fluorescent light cover, that I buy at the local hardware
store. Cut it to fit inside the green trays and place my plants on top of
those.

I don't know if your looking for something fancier than that. But mine work
great for me.

Hope this helps,

Francis Marion

Old 29-10-2004, 08:27 PM
Peter Aitken

"francis marion" wrote in message
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "Humidity trays". For my trays I went
to a local nursery and bought a couple of the dark green/black plastic

trays
that gardeners use to start seeds from.

They are about 24" long x 12" deep x 3 "tall. Place an inch or so of

clean,
washed gravel and add water. I then take a piece of the plastic

"egg-crate"
white, plastic fluorescent light cover, that I buy at the local hardware
store. Cut it to fit inside the green trays and place my plants on top of
those.

I don't know if your looking for something fancier than that. But mine

work
great for me.

Hope this helps,

Francis Marion

That's exactly it - although something nicer looking than plastic would be
good. But none of the garden stores have them, perhaps because it is not
Spring.

--
Peter Aitken

Old 31-10-2004, 07:51 PM
Edward Rutter Jr.

"Peter Aitken" wrote in message
om...
[...]

You can try Parkside
http://www.parksideorchids.com/supplies.htm

Ed

Old 31-10-2004, 10:56 PM
Edmond Cormier

I use trays from fast food restaurants.They are solid and do not rust. I put
in them: Fluorescent honeycomb or gravel or carpet underlay. Honeycomb is
the easiest to clean.Whatever everybody has to say about humidity is of not
much importance to me. Because, when watering, these trays absorb the
surplus water.
Ed Cormier

Old 31-10-2004, 11:20 PM
profpam

Try Cal West Orchid Supply
http://www.orchid-supplies.com/humidity_trays.html

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Old 30-10-2004, 12:20 AM
Matthew Donadio

Peter Aitken wrote:
Can someone point me to an online source for humidity trays? I'm not having
any luck locally. THanks.

These are somewhat fancier than the do-it-yourself variety, but they
work well.

http://www.humidigrow.com/

--Matt

Old 31-10-2004, 12:36 AM
unknown

In article ,
"Peter Aitken" wrote:

Can someone point me to an online source for humidity trays? I'm not having
any luck locally. THanks.

i use pyrex baking dishes (machine washable, and they were on sale. :-)

the plants sit on either plumbing bits or little wire boxes i make out
of hardware cloth.

caveat: i'm a windowsill grower, this probably wouldn't work in a large
space.

--j_a

Old 30-10-2004, 01:31 AM
Ray

1) I sell beige plastic nursery trays that can be used that way. (I use
them to catch drips or as carrying trays.)
2) I don't think "humidity trays" are of any real benefit.

If you're a home grower with humidity levels too low, they seem to be a good
idea. Unfortunately, nature is working against the idea, as that one foot
by two foot try is trying to humidify your whole house. Add the air
movement you should have in the grow room, and you're dispersing the
moisture even faster. In reality, your plants do not really see a
significant increase in even the local humidity.

Seal that room off totally from the rest of the house, block all central
heating vents, and set up a lot of trays and it's a different matter.

..

Old 30-10-2004, 12:58 PM
dd

In article , Ray
wrote:

1) I sell beige plastic nursery trays that can be used that way. (I use
them to catch drips or as carrying trays.)
2) I don't think "humidity trays" are of any real benefit.

If you're a home grower with humidity levels too low, they seem to be a good
idea. Unfortunately, nature is working against the idea, as that one foot
by two foot try is trying to humidify your whole house. Add the air
movement you should have in the grow room, and you're dispersing the
moisture even faster. In reality, your plants do not really see a
significant increase in even the local humidity.

Seal that room off totally from the rest of the house, block all central
heating vents, and set up a lot of trays and it's a different matter.

The original poster might want to think about adopting the advice in
your last statement. In my case, humidity trays have been a GREAT help.

My growing space (about 10 x 22 feet) is a sunroom that is connected
to but separate from the rest of the house. (It was an exterior room
built over the attached garage). Entry is through the living room via
by a tight-fitting wood-framed glass door. An ancient hot-water
radiator (which is always spewing a bit of steam) is connected to the
central heating system but is independently controlled, and it heats
in the room in the winter. However, the artificial lights (1 overhead
400-watt MH and 8 flourescent 4-foot tubes under the shelves), which go
on at 3 AM, usually keep the room pretty toasty. Also, the room is on
the other side of the living room fireplace.

In the room I have 16 large humidity trays and 2 of the extra-large 29"
x 13" trays. It's not a problem to maintain 60-70% humidity EXCEPT in
the dead of winter when the temperature drops to below freezing, and
then I plug in a small humidifier. (I have three fans running 24/7.)
All of the windows in the room were replaced about the time I
discovered orchids and line the east, south, and west walls. The
orchids are on tables in front of the windows; below the windows they
are growing under lights. In winter, blinds come down at night to
provide an air barrier to prevent a chill coming off the glass.

This is certainly not as satisfying as having a greenhouse, but it's
pretty civilized--I enjoy communing with the orchids over my first cup
of coffee. The room was fairly easy to set up. The single most
expensive thing was calling in an electrician to do the additional
wiring and add ciruits.
Old 01-11-2004, 01:19 PM
J. Del Col

I use a bunch of old sheet film developing trays that a local phot lab
was discarding. I just scrubbed them thoroughly and put in a layer
of damp pea gravel.

Some of these trays are real beauties, stainless steel and big enough
for 16X20 negatives or prints.

J. Del Col

Humidity tray source? Peter Aitken Orchids 0 29-10-2004 05:32 PM
humidity tray M&M Australia 0 18-08-2003 03:31 AM
humidity tray M&M Australia 0 18-08-2003 03:03 AM
humidity tray M&M Australia 0 18-08-2003 03:01 AM
humidity tray M&M Australia 0 18-08-2003 02:56 AM