GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   My Phalaenopsis is growing ROOTS and not a SPIKE! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/85776-my-phalaenopsis-growing-roots-not-spike.html)

Mike 27-10-2004 07:30 PM

My Phalaenopsis is growing ROOTS and not a SPIKE!

Orchid friends,

My Phalaenopsis is growing two new roots and no spike yet! The plant
is extremely healthy and happy. It has 8 healthy leaves at the moment.
I am fertilizing it with 10-60-10 (Schultz Bloom Plus) to push it into
spike. I am even giving it the cold treatment at night for a few
hours. Day temps are about 22C/71F and night temps are about 8C/46F.
But there is no sign of a spike yet! I live in Southwestern Ontario,
so the plant should be producing a spike right about this time.

The roots are pointy and about 0.5 cm in length. The tips are reddish.
I'm assuming they are roots since they are growing down.

I also see tiny white and black bugs walking around. Which
insecticides are safe to use with an orchid?

What am I doing wrong?

Mike

http://www.usenet.com