GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   "Mystery" disease. . . (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/85831-%22mystery%22-disease.html)

Brian Vogel 31-10-2004 07:02 PM

"Mystery" disease. . .

Hello All,

That's probably not a mystery to a number
in the r.g.o cohort. I have posted 2 photographs
on a.b.p.o under the titles "Disease Picture" #1
& #2.

This particular catt is now in very sad shape.
At first I thought I was dealing with mealybugs and
tried Neem Oil. No dice. Whatever this stuff is
doesn't ever turn "fluffy and gray black" like mealys
do.

Photo #1 shows how this stuff starts along
the base of the rhizome, looking a bit like mealys
or snowy mold. The second shows the blackening
process taking blace on one pseudobulb (lower left)
and one that's gone (directly across, the pseudobulb
that's on the very top of the three that are visible).

Several of my plants have developed this over the
summer, but this is the only one that it appears to be
killing. The two others only have a white coating around
the base of all the pseudobulbs with no blackening or
plant death at all.

Any help is most appreciated.

Brian

Ray 31-10-2004 08:10 PM

No mystery, I'm afraid. A soft scale.

Dip a toothbrush in some water containing liquid dishwashing detergent (1
tablespoon per gallon), and scrub away.

..

Brian Vogel 31-10-2004 11:41 PM

Ray wrote:

No mystery, I'm afraid. A soft scale.

Dip a toothbrush in some water containing liquid dishwashing detergent (1
tablespoon per gallon), and scrub away.

Ray,

I will certainly try this. Your advice
has been very helpful in the past.

Are there any insecticides, systemic or
otherwise, that are good for this? I have the
feeling that at this stage there's no way to
"get it all".

Brian

Ray 31-10-2004 11:43 PM

I vote for Enstar II as a post-scrubbing treatment and drench. It is an
insect growth regulator, and no maturation means no reproduction.

It's damned expensive on the surface - $85 for a 5-ounce bottle - but it
goes a very long way.

..

profpam 01-11-2004 12:23 AM

Volck Oil is a good source for ridding scale. It, however, has been several
years that I had an even slight problem; however, this seemed to do the trick.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

-----------------------

Kenni Judd 01-11-2004 04:27 AM

The Enstar that Ray recommended is not something I'm familiar with.
However, it sounds like a long-term solution. This is not entirely a bad
thing, and I'm going to look into it. But if you need a quick kill, try
acephate 75% [sold under various brand names like Orthene, Isotox, etc.].
But you must read the label; if the percentage is other than 75%, you need
to adjust the dosage accordingly.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Brian Vogel 07-11-2004 05:06 PM

Kenni Judd wrote:

The Enstar that Ray recommended is not something I'm familiar with.
However, it sounds like a long-term solution. This is not entirely a bad
thing, and I'm going to look into it. But if you need a quick kill, try
acephate 75% [sold under various brand names like Orthene, Isotox, etc.].
But you must read the label; if the percentage is other than 75%, you need
to adjust the dosage accordingly.

Are you suggesting an undiluted application with a brush?

Thanks to you, Pam, & Ray for the suggestions.
I did use what used to be marketed as Isotox with
great results for both hard scale and mealys. These
plants got the same spraying schedule, but it didn't
kill the soft scale off.

I think I'm going to have to remove these from their
cocohusk chips, do a through scrubbing as Ray suggested,
then Volck/Neem/Isotox (probably the latter) before
repotting.

I'm just finishing up a move and am still trying to get
a basement light system set up for my collection (which
isn't going according to schedule). I do appreciate the
suggestions.

Brian

Kenni Judd 09-11-2004 12:00 AM

YIKES! NO! You need to dilute to the appropriate recommendations for a 75%
acephate product -- which requires higher math if what you can buy has a
different % of the active ingredient (acephate). But NO, absolutely not,
even if you get a liquid rather than a wettable powder, should you brush it
on "straight."

Also, if you have already used Isotox [the active ingredient of which is
acephate], then you should use something different next time. Oils are good
if your weather is cool Other prospects are Sevin, Malathion, Cygon ...
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids