Old 05-11-2004, 03:37 PM
Dada

Default mini catts

Hi all:

I have a friend who likes mini catts. I am planning a "surprise" gift for
her and was wondering what I could get. The only mini catt I can think of is
Slc. Mini Doris. Any suggestions and sources??.

Dada (Catt illiterate!!)

Old 05-11-2004, 04:29 PM
Rob Halgren

Dada wrote:

Hi all:

I have a friend who likes mini catts. I am planning a "surprise" gift for
her and was wondering what I could get. The only mini catt I can think of is
Slc. Mini Doris. Any suggestions and sources??.

Well, they are extraordinarily popular now (far more than they were
5 years ago, these things cycle). Mini Doris is nice, but by no means
the only option. I have about fifty different crosses myself, and there
are many many more than that out there. Pretty much any vendor you
trust is going to be a good source. Ray won't toot his own horn, but
his plants are good (firstrays.com), or Kenni (jborchids.com). I'm not
trying to exclude any other internet vendor, but these are the only ones
with minicatts that come to mind at the speed of type... I'm sure there
are dozens of others.

Another option is to visit a local vendor in person. That way you
could pick out a plant yourself. Or even better, take your friend
shopping and let her pick out her own plant. That way you get to learn
about minicatts, she gets a plant she really likes, and you all go home
with a trunkload of things you weren't planning on purchasing. If you
tell us where you are, we can tell you a good place to shop. Orchid
show season is starting (this weekend for me), this is another option.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open - e-mail me for a list )

Old 05-11-2004, 09:30 PM
Gene Schurg

Dada,

I'm kinda partial to the Lc. Mini Purple varieties. There are about a dozen
of them out there with awards and vastly different colors from near white to
purple to reds.

They grow well, grow fast, and reliably bloom.

Good growing,
Gene

Old 05-11-2004, 10:07 PM
Rob Halgren

Gene Schurg wrote:

Dada,

I'm kinda partial to the Lc. Mini Purple varieties. There are about a dozen
of them out there with awards and vastly different colors from near white to
purple to reds.

They grow well, grow fast, and reliably bloom.

Hmmm. That wouldn't have been my first choice. But that is in my
hands... I know that a lot of people grow Mini Purple, so it is
probably just me. Actually I have several that are blooming well right
now, after a summer and fall of what I normally would consider horrible
care. Perhaps I baby them too much.

Here are some that grow well for me and are pretty easy to find:

Bc. Maikai (a real weed)
C. Walkerinter (a personal favorite, white), or anything made with C.
walkeriana as a parent
Bl. Richard Mueller (or anything made with it - usually starry shaped
flowers in various shades of yellow)
Dial. Snowflake
Iwan. Appleblossom

And, although I probably wouldn't have bought them myself (I got
about 100 with the greenhouse), I'm becoming increasingly fond of
Otaara. I have three or four varieties, and they are all growing like
little weeds and blooming with what I consider to be quite large flowers
(for the size of the plant) and some very nice colors. Imagine Ctna.
Why Not on steroids.

Old 06-11-2004, 03:32 PM
Dada

Thanks guys for all the advice.... I will be doing some online buying
soon!(safe that way!). I don't think I will be visiting a nursery in the
near future. The last time I visited one, I came back home with 30 extra
plants not knowing where to keep them!!!

Dada.

Old 06-11-2004, 04:34 PM
Susan Erickson

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 09:32:30 -0500, "Dada"
wrote:

Thanks guys for all the advice.... I will be doing some online buying
soon!(safe that way!). I don't think I will be visiting a nursery in the
near future. The last time I visited one, I came back home with 30 extra
plants not knowing where to keep them!!!

Dada.
2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open - e-mail me for a list )

You know Rob's rule #1. There is always room.

If you are talking about windowsill growers this group is a
little large for me. For even smaller plants in the Mini-Catt
group and windowsill (lower light) growth habits check out the
availability of plants from Gold Country orchids in CA. Alan
breeds to a standard of a tea cup size to bloom and Phal light.
They are very cute, and often in the red and yellow tones.

SuE

Old 06-11-2004, 05:00 PM
K Barrett

Don't forget Precious Stones hybrids. They come in a wide variety of colors.
I also like Jungle Beau (a Beaufort hybrid). Another way to go is with
the 'Dolls' Like Sierrra Doll, Pink Doll, (these from Gold Country orchids
in Lincoln Ca.) and there's Garrett Collins for a nice flat flower.
Speaking of flat flowers Fordyce has Circle of Life and its progeny that are
coccinea based, wide petals and red color.
K Barrett

t...

Old 06-11-2004, 05:00 PM
K Barrett

Don't forget Precious Stones hybrids. They come in a wide variety of colors.
I also like Jungle Beau (a Beaufort hybrid). Another way to go is with
the 'Dolls' Like Sierrra Doll, Pink Doll, (these from Gold Country orchids
in Lincoln Ca.) and there's Garrett Collins for a nice flat flower.
Speaking of flat flowers Fordyce has Circle of Life and its progeny that are
coccinea based, wide petals and red color.
K Barrett

t...

Gene Schurg wrote:

[...]

repotting paphs (and Catts) J Fortuna Orchids 2 09-07-2005 08:12 PM
Phals&Catts V_coerulea Orchids 11 26-04-2005 05:12 AM
Training Catts and Dens Reka Orchids 2 29-11-2004 11:23 PM
Training Catts and Dens Reka Orchids 2 29-11-2004 11:23 PM
mini catts Dada Orchids 0 05-11-2004 03:37 PM