Old 13-11-2004, 02:55 PM
Myrmecodia

"Shell" wrote in message .com...
I just got a Schlumburgkia brysiana and I want to take it off its mount,
it's wired to a piece of bark like stuff, and I want to pot it. Will phal
mix be ok?

Your Schomburgkia really will be much happier mounted. They tend to
be moderately xerophytic plants, so they will tolerate dry indoor
conditions while mounted. Most of the potted plants I've seen look a
bit funny, because the orientation of the pseudobulbs is better suited
to a mount. If you must pot, use an open mix (coarse bark, aliflor,
large perlite, or charcoal chunks). Your Phal mix may be O.K., but I
would avoid any pro-mix or peat-based mixes.

Regards,

Nick

Old 13-11-2004, 08:27 PM
wendy7

Hi there Shell, It is spelled Schomburgkia brysiana. (for searching on
Google). I saw one for $150....yikes
Do you have a varietal name or clonal name on the tag?
They are from Central America & like it hot & bright so if it
were mine, I would leave it on the mount.
Have the roots started to attach & grow into the bark? If so
don't disturb it.
I have a couple of Schom's it clay pots hanging up high with
maybe a few chunks of large cork bark & seem to be doing well.
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Shell wrote:
I just got a Schlumburgkia brysiana and I want to take it off its
mount, it's wired to a piece of bark like stuff, and I want to pot
it. Will phal mix be ok?

My other question is about Nepenthes plants. Does anyone here grow
them? I need all the advice I can get on them.

Thaks in advance

Shell

---

Old 14-11-2004, 12:46 AM
Shell

Thanks for the information. The Nepenthes are small, 3" pot size so the old
aquarium ought to work great. I shouldn't have too much trouble with
humidity it's usually well over 50% here in Houston. I'm looking forward
to trying these interesting plants out.

Shell

"Aaron Hicks" wrote in message
I had thought neps take a lot of light- and they do, in many
cases, to grow them well. However, a nepenthes hybrid I have growing on my
desk at work is no closer than 8' away from fluorescent lights, shoved
back into a corner next to an aquarium with a paltry 15 watt bulb (which
it can't possibly be getting much light from), inside a plastic container
that can't be transmitting too much light. I use the plastic tub only to
keep the humidity up, since it's normally around 9% during the day out
here in the desert.

While I wouldn't say it's thriving, it is throwing pitchers and
otherwise doing quite well.

While many mature neps require lots of room, young ones are easy
enough to protect and grow well in a terrarium. I grow a number in vitro,
and they're kept at the same light as the orchids- about 14" away from
twin 40-watt fluorescent tubes.

The address in the header is bogus. Send no e-mail there.

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ

---

Old 14-11-2004, 12:54 AM
Shell

From what everyone is telling me I should have little trouble growing these
along with my orchids and tillandsias and such. I should have no trouble
keeping the humidity up and have plenty of light, my house doesn't get too
warm, and as long as they don't get 100 feet long I shoult have planty of
room. My only worry would be bugs for them to eat

Shell

"Myrmecodia" wrote in message
om...
"Ray" wrote in message

I don't think a terrarium is a good idea,

Nepenthes need a LOT of light - along the lines of vandas. How are you
going to do that in a terrarium?

Before I had my greenhouse, I grew many Nepenthes in terrariums or
under fluorescent light. Humidity, not light, seems to be the biggest
limiting factor indoors, so a terrarium or grow chamber can help. In
the greenhouse, I grow them in a variety of exposures, from bright
light at the top of the greenhouse to shadier spots with the Paphs.

A bigger problem than light is that Nepenthes are typically BIG plants
and will rapidly outgrow most terraria. Some people keep seedlings
and trade them out when they get too big. That's not really
satisfactory IMO, because then you never see the really mature
pitchers.

N. alata and especially its hybrid N. Ventrata are well suited to
windowsill or under-lights culture.

In a smaller terrarium, try Nepenthes gracilis or N. ampullaria. N.
gracilis is a miniature scrambler. N. ampullaria produces very long
vines. However, it also produces rosettes of pitches at ground level,
and the climbing vines can be pruned.

Lowland and intermediate altitude plants are best for indoor growers.
A centrally heated house is too warm for most highlanders.

Regards,

Nick
--

---

Old 14-11-2004, 12:56 AM
Shell

Thanks My only worry is going to be enough to feed them since we dont
have many bugs in the house. I suppose I could go to the pet store and buy
some crickets now and then (yuck)

Shell

"Gerald Keuneke" wrote in message
Shell wrote:

I just got a Schlumburgkia brysiana and I want to take it off its mount,
it's wired to a piece of bark like stuff, and I want to pot it. Will

phal
mix be ok?

My other question is about Nepenthes plants. Does anyone here grow them?

need all the advice I can get on them.

Thaks in advance

Shell

---

I have a Nepenthes (not sure which one, as the label doesn't say)
growing in fine bark. I keep it pretty damp and feed it any slugs or
bugs I find on my plants. Give it lots of room, as mine currently has
two eight-foot growths with about twenty-five pods each. I keep mine on
the top shelf of the center isle of my greenhouse, so it gets lots of
light.
Good luck with yours.

Jerry

---

Old 14-11-2004, 12:57 AM
Shell

Thanks for the information, I'll leave the Schlomburgkia mounted for now
and find something to stand it up in.

Old 14-11-2004, 01:05 AM
Shell

I just looked and there's no other name on the tag. I checked the roots and
some are all the way through the bark so it's staying put for sure. I'm
building a light stand so it should be very happy sitting in a shallow tray
with my other plants. Thanks for the spelling correction, I'll have to
change the tag.

BTW the tillandsias are doing great in a couple of bonsai pots and gravel.
All the orchids and my largest epiphyllum cacti are all coming inside for
the winter this year since we've already had some cold here.

Shell

Old 14-11-2004, 02:31 AM
wendy7

Glad to hear your plants are doing well & the Tillys too.
How cold does it get in Houston?

Old 14-11-2004, 10:50 AM
Shell

We usually have a few freeze warnings every year and once in awhile a hard
freeze warning. Mostly though it doesn't get much below 35 or so.

Shell

Old 14-11-2004, 02:07 PM
Myrmecodia

"Shell" wrote in message . com...
From what everyone is telling me I should have little trouble growing these
along with my orchids and tillandsias and such. I should have no trouble
keeping the humidity up and have plenty of light, my house doesn't get too
warm, and as long as they don't get 100 feet long I shoult have planty of
room. My only worry would be bugs for them to eat

Sounds good. Since you are in Houston, you might even be able to put
them outside in shade during the summer. If they get too long, you
can always prune the vines and root the cuttings. I like to wait
until there is a second basal rosette befoer pruning the main vine,
but the cuttings typically root without much trouble in the Spring or
Summer.

If you don't have an easy supply of home grown bugs, check your local
petshop for a product called "can o' crickets." I kid you not. As
the name suggests, it is a can of crickets that you can keep in the
fridge or freezer., just the right size for feeding Nepenthes.

Nick

Old 14-11-2004, 07:02 PM
samaki

"Ray" wrote in message
I don't think a terrarium is a good idea,

Nepenthes need a LOT of light - along the lines of vandas. How are you
going to do that in a terrarium?

That`s really interesting. I`ve got two nepenthes and didn`t succed pushing
them to produce pitchers. At first I thought it`s a matter of too low
humidity, but later it turned out that it was just too bright for them. Now
they are standing in much more shady, but also more dry spot and the
pitchers are really nice.

greetings from Poland
Martha

Nepenthes ID [email protected] Orchids 3 12-05-2005 10:04 PM
Nepenthes Question Shell Gardening 2 13-11-2004 02:13 AM
know about nepenthes?? Oxymel of Squill United Kingdom 3 12-03-2004 12:12 AM
nepenthes ampullaria Oxymel of Squill United Kingdom 1 19-11-2003 12:43 AM
How to replant a nepenthes/pticher plant? Jo United Kingdom 5 27-05-2003 06:08 PM