GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   psychopsis (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/86507-psychopsis.html)

Tamra Eastman 16-11-2004 03:58 PM

psychopsis

Hi all: I have been growing a beautiful psychopsis for over a year now. It
came with two spikes that have bloomed continuously and then sent up
another, which has also been blooming. Then the cat discovered it.
Normally, my cats don't bother the orchids, although they have knocked a few
off the table. The sight of a butterfly floating in the air was too much
for the kitten. He broke the reed near the top. Here's the
question...there is a node near the break that appears to be forming a new
bud. Could this be true? Or, am I just seeing what I want to see?

Tamra

Susan Erickson 16-11-2004 09:36 PM

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 15:58:48 GMT, "Tamra Eastman"
wrote:

Hi all: I have been growing a beautiful psychopsis for over a year now. It
came with two spikes that have bloomed continuously and then sent up
another, which has also been blooming. Then the cat discovered it.
Normally, my cats don't bother the orchids, although they have knocked a few
off the table. The sight of a butterfly floating in the air was too much
for the kitten. He broke the reed near the top. Here's the
question...there is a node near the break that appears to be forming a new
bud. Could this be true? Or, am I just seeing what I want to see?

Tamra

Psychopsis can and sometimes do branch on their own. The chance
that this branch is developing sounds very good. Poor kitty just
could not take the temptation. You had best find another home
for the Psychopsis or a way to shield any new blooms from the
kitten.

SuE

dd 18-11-2004 04:58 PM

wrote:

[...]

Two thoughts: First, if you have a growing area that you want to
protect from a rambunctious kitten, try putting a product called
"Sticky Paws" (available online from the Drs. Foster and Smith
catalogue and in some pet stores) around the area. This is a
double-sided clear adhesive tape that cats HATE to touch. You might
also put orange peels on top of the potting media--a nice smell for
humans but most cats don't like the smell of citrus. When kitty is
older, he will probably ignore the orchids. My two older cats enjoy
lounging beneath the oncidiums and miltassias and don't harm the plants
at all, but the youngest cat ocassionally has a lapse and tries to use
the leaves as floss...

Second, I've often wondered whether orchids are all that different from
some other plants in that if you pinch back flower spikes, they then
bush out and you get even more flowers. One time I dropped an orchid
(can't remember what it was now) and snapped off a spike, and some
months later, it did branch out. It could have just been a
coincidence, but I'll never know.