Old 17-11-2004, 03:06 AM
Ray

Default Cattleya Nigritian "King of Kings"

Is it still possible to obtain this plant? I saw it a long time ago and
remember it very fondly, but have been unable to find it anywhere. Does
anyone have any leads. It was a beautiful dark, dark, purple...almost
black as I recall.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ray L.
Old 17-11-2004, 03:12 AM
Ray

A search using google turned up only a cross using it as a parent, and it's
in Australia.

..
nk.net...

Old 17-11-2004, 11:59 AM
GARLAND HANSON

Ray,
I learned about this plant just a few weeks ago from a local cattleya
grower. The gentleman is 80 years old and has most of the classics in his
collection. In some cases he has 10 or more cultivars of a certain cross!
He mentioned that he has been in pursuit of this plant for quite some time
now. He knows of people that have it. Apparently the folks that have it
keep it closely held and distribute divisions only through the
good-ole-boy-network.

The word is that this is such a nice and unusual plant that the current
owners don't want it cloned and mass-distributed. Since some of them have
paid upwards of $5000 for a division they want to protect their investment!
Can't say I blame them!

Good luck hunting for this one! I'll keep my eyes out also!
Garland

nk.net...

Old 17-11-2004, 02:06 PM
Reka

Here's Nigritian without "King of Kings":
http://www.seidel.com.br/portugues/lista_precos104.pdf

Sorry I couldn't do better.
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

"Ray" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
nk.net...
Is it still possible to obtain this plant? I saw it a long time ago and
remember it very fondly, but have been unable to find it anywhere. Does
anyone have any leads. It was a beautiful dark, dark, purple...almost
black as I recall.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ray L.

---

Old 17-11-2004, 04:17 PM
kenty ;-\)

I have a Cattleya King of Kings,it is a young plant.That is all i know of
it!

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.
"Reka" wrote in message
Here's Nigritian without "King of Kings":
http://www.seidel.com.br/portugues/lista_precos104.pdf

Sorry I couldn't do better.
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

nk.net...

Old 17-11-2004, 04:26 PM
Aaron Hicks

JEM Orchids also used it in a hybrid.

www.jemorchids.com/jem_cattleyas.html

They crossed it with Blc. Wattana Emperor. It's their cross number
645.

Interestingly, they also use C. Nigritian 'Treasure' in a hybrid.

The e-mail address in the header is bogus. Send no mail there.

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ

Old 18-11-2004, 05:09 AM
Bonnie Yee

Elmore Orchids sold division of it recently. Priced under $100. He might
have more.

Richard

"Reka" wrote in message
Here's Nigritian without "King of Kings":
http://www.seidel.com.br/portugues/lista_precos104.pdf

Sorry I couldn't do better.
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

nk.net...

Old 18-11-2004, 05:55 AM
Steve

I couldn't help but notice that both of those hybrids were to be yellow.
I guess that deep dark color is easily over powered.

Steve