Old 09-01-2005, 02:02 PM
Ray

Curb your enthusiasm a bit, "In5". We already know your stake in the
stuff.

Aussie Gold might be a really good mix, but its marketers fail to
realize that when it comes to orchid potting media, one man's "gold"
is another man's garbage. There is way too much variability in the
needs of the different genera and the conditions under which
individuals try to grow them for a single medium to be applicable to
all combinations and permutations.

If the marketers feel that the ready-to-use feature of the medium is a
big selling point, it is likely they will soon learn that their market
is primarily newbies who know little about orchid growing. I can tell
you for a fact that successful growers tend to analyze their growing
conditions and tailor the medium to the specific needs of the plants
to be grown there.

I used to offer a custom media blending service so folks could get
their own media formula "ready-mixed," but it had limited demand.
Why? Because folks bought the media components from me and blended it
themselves, making on-the-spot modifications based upon the particular
plants to be potted up. A knowledgeable grower understands that under
their conditions, that phal and that catt are likely to have different
cultural demands that may mandate a different medium makeup.

It's not "reinventing the wheel," it's selecting the correct one.
Stretching that analogy to tires...you wouldn't put racing slicks on
your SUV, would you?

..
"in5years" wrote in message
news:1105258041.cd633d85d9c38bb7fe9fa1e0c32e20d1@t eranews...

Hi Pam.
I agree with you there are sources for Diatomite. Just check out
google!!!! My view and opinion is that Aussie Gold Orchid mix is
already premixed and ready for immediate use! Easy! If a person
cares
to buy a huge bag of Diatomite and make there own
concoction......SUPERB. I'm glad someone has the time to "reinvent
the
wheel" when it comes to creating a mix for their orchids. I know
there
had been alot of hype about Aussie Gold. Just ask around.........

All the best in growing!

****I really do like your Orchid Management software Pam.

Aussie Gold Orchid Mix will be passing by all those who are sittin
on
the fence!!!!!

See ya!

***I grow Catts, mini's, phals, bulbos,phrags ...all in the Aussie
Gold! I grow all under flurescents in an apartment!!!!!!! My orchids
are Happy as Clams!!!!

Al Wrote:
There are a lot of local sources for freshwater Diatomite and it is
good
media for most orchids, both in a mix and alone. There has to be
some
mine
for it around the great lakes region, anyway. It is light weight,
but
it
*is* a rock, so shipping the stuff, mixed into a brand name
concoction
from
Australia when it can be had from a more local source, always gives
me
pause.

I remember seeing H&R nursery's recipe for their diatomite mix
someplace on
the web. It might have been an American diatomite source.

"in5years" wrote in message
news:1102950329.3e4f4d110957ebdf01b4025e83c17b39@t eranews...-

"Maidenwell Diatomite"
"Maidenwell Diatomite" Absorbalite (diatomaceous earth) consists of
the
skeletal remains of microscopic single cell aquatic plants known as
diatoms. These small plants developed an opaline silicious shell
like
armor for protection, upon the death of these plants the fossil
shells
accumulated on the beds of these fresh water lakes and compacted
into
lightweight porous rock.

PHYSICAL PROPERTIES
Color- White, cream to yellow
Moisture- Approximately 6%
Bulk Density- Approximately 0.4
PH- 6.2 to 6.9
Water absorption- From 150% to 170% w/w
Oil absorption- From 115% to 125% w/w

TYPICAL CHEMICAL ANALYSIS

Silicon Dioxide (SiO2) 82.17%
Aluminum Oxide (Al2O3) 6.74%
Iron Oxide (FeO3) 3.15%
Calcium Oxide (CaO) 0.04%
Magnesium Oxide (MgO) 0.37%
Titanium Oxide (TiO2) 0.60%
Sodium Oxide (Na2O) 0.30%
Potassium Oxide (K2O) 0.04%
Phosphate Oxide (P2O5) 0.09%
Manganese Oxide (MnO) 0.01%
Strontium Oxide (SrO) 0.01%
Zircon Oxide (ZrO2) 0.03%
Sulphur Trioxide (SO3) 0.04%
Loss on Ignition L.O.I 5.93%

danny Wrote:-
If we asked H&R about your claims for the diatomite mix do you
think
they
would back you up? I seriously doubt it. Your claims just don't
make
any
sense. You say every orchid you repotted had buds in a month???
You
must
have a very limited selection of orchids.
-danny

"in5years"
wrote in message
news:1102474889.35f9f0ea18280c21dceed46fd58dc5b9@t eranews...-

Hi,

Just ask a few well known nurseries such as H&R Nurseries out of
Hawaii. They use Diatomite with their orchids. Many nurseries do.

Just think that a nursery in San Diego was quoted as saying, " Why
should my customers make their orchids live longer. I want the
orchids
to die so they can buy more orchids!"

Think about it.......most nurseries out in the world are out to
make
cash and then conservation.

*****All I can say is do your own research on anything you care to
be
interested in. The internet has all of the resources! Don't believe
what other people say..........Trust what your gut and head
say!!!!!

Happy growing!
Steve

danny Wrote:-
Claims like this obviously come from inexperienced growers or
salesmen.
The
majority of orchids won't put out new growth within two weeks
because
you
put it into the newest "wonder mix". If I repotted my entire very
mixed
collection of orchids at any particular time, 90% of the plants
wouldn't put
out new growth in two weeks regardless of what I potted them in.

-danny

"in5years"
wrote in message
news:1102402915.12f5a2e3db31bac798fe4c7d40dac43e@t eranews...-

Hi,
This new mix works like a charm!!!! IT REALLY DOES WORK!!! All of
my
orchids that I've repotted have new shoots within 2 weeks and buds
within 1 month.

I'm so convinced.....I became a dealer for Aussie Gold! What's
great
about this mix is that it is already made for you. There's no need
go running around or waiting for your different components to your
mix
to arrive.

For those who wait, you'll not win any ribbons at the orchid
shows!!!

WOW !!!!

Steve
MN, USA

francis marion Wrote:-
Anyone here heard of, it or used it?

Their web page
http://www.aussie-gold.com/ sure makes it sound like
the
greatest thing to happen to orchids since sliced bread.

Any opinions?

Thanks,
Francis Marion-

--
in5years--

--
in5years--

--
in5years-

--
in5years

Old 09-01-2005, 02:27 PM
wendy7

Hi there Pam, I enquired about Diatomite rock & Aussie Gold, a company in
San Diego. It seemed way too expensive for my cash flow!
Speaking of Ramona, has she started up again? I heard they
lost everything in the fires?
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

profpam wrote:
(Please forgive if this is a duplicate posting. I have a new ISP, and
the original posting showed an error).

I purchased a bag of what they call "the rocks" from Ramona of the
lost (due to fires) Islander Delight. This is similar to Ivan
Harrison's Aussie Gold except that it has none other than the
diatomite. I have been mixing it with a little fine bark, perlite,
and charcoal on top and a little orchid rock on the bottom with "the
rocks" to provide good drainage and all. So far I like it.

. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://home.earthlink.net/~profpam/page3.html

Al wrote:

There are a lot of local sources for freshwater Diatomite and it is
a good media for most orchids, both in a mix and alone. There has

wrote in message
news:1102402915.12f5a2e3db31bac798fe4c7d40dac43e@t eranews...-

Hi,
This new mix works like a charm!!!! IT REALLY DOES WORK!!! All of
my orchids that I've repotted have new shoots within 2 weeks and
buds within 1 month.

I'm so convinced.....I became a dealer for Aussie Gold! What's
great about this mix is that it is already made for you. There's
no need to

Old 11-01-2005, 09:34 PM
profpam

Hi Wendy,

Ramona spoke at our society meeting a couple of months ago, and she
provided insight on Fire Insurance, FEMA, etc. She still has not
rebuilt and is renting (I believe) in Claremont. She mentioned that out
of all the victims FEMA only pays-off government structures (city
buildings, etc.--or at least that is what I believe she said).
Nevertheless, the question is about Aussie Gold, and Ivan Harrison spoke
at our society meeting in November (a wonderful speaker--very
enjoyable). I purchased a bunch of raffle tickets hoping to win some of
the Aussie Gold (I wanted to analyze the mixture. No, I am not very
lucky; so I didn't win anything). Anyway, I did purchase "the rocks"
when Ramona spoke a few months prior at the meeting, and I now use a mix
of orchid rock, "the rocks", charcoal, perlite, and a little fine bark.
With all the rain and snow (unusual for Calimesa), I have buckets of
rain water to use in the greenhouse as well as a barrel of snow melt
from the roof (two days before the snow melted) for the carnivorous
plants. So, I am boring you folks out there -- apologies.
Nevertheless, hope I have answered the question.

Old 31-10-2005, 02:55 AM
Registered User

Those chains are starting to get a little tight, aren’t they? Do you find yourself looking around constantly for a key to unlock them? Wishing you could fling off the burden of answering to someone else each day and just do your own thing … build your own business and create the wealth you know is out there? Think about the possibilities and envision yourself managing your own hours, earning the income you want and deserve – whether it’s just supplemental money or a whole new opportunity that puts you in total control of your finances.

Agel is that key. It’s the answer to that itch you’ve been scratching since you first started earning a paycheck. You’ve always known there was something better out there, but finding it has been another story. And now you’ve been introduced to Agel – a company with a game plan, the financial backing, and the products that can propel you into a life, and a lifestyle, like you want.

Agel is a product category creator. An innovator when it comes to a win-win pay-out system. Visionaries who know if you give people a solid business opportunity backed with products that blow the socks off the competitors, amazing things will happen. Gelceuticals, what an idea. Finally, supplements that are easy to take, easy to keep handy, are absorbed quickly, and believe it or not, taste great. These power-packed nutrients energize you, help you stay fit, and fight free radical damage. Just rip and sip yourself to better health. How sweet is that?

Maybe it’s time you powered up with Agel. Try the products. Look over the revolutionary seven-ways-to-earn compensation plan. Discover what all the buzz is about. Come on … the clock is ticking on this opportunity. What are you waiting for?

Are you ready for this? Call 620-294-1909 and listen intently. If you are TRULY serious about taking control of YOUR life and creating YOUR success; call me ASAP!!

Success is a Team effort.

Success is created!
Steve Fillmore
612-205-9814
www.AGEL2GO.com
Old 06-11-2005, 11:20 PM
Mick Fournier

Default Aussie Gold Orchid Mix ?

Steve,

I have tried Aussie Gold. The stuff plays hell with your hands if you have
psoriasis... and I mean wicked hell. Plus this mix is "spent" after 4
months in the pot outside in Florida. If you like repotting 3 times a year
then Aussie Gold could be OK for you.

As far as your Agel crap, I wouldn't use it on my orchids if you paid me.
So **** off out of this newsgroup that is about orchids... not quick rich
scams.

Mick

====================

Old 07-11-2005, 05:06 PM

I would recommend thoroughly investigating Agel before labeling it.
I'll be home tending to my Orchids (and my remaining garden) full time
next year thanks to Agel.

Peace.
J.D.

Old 01-12-2005, 10:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
profpam

I have used a similar Aussie product and would highly recommend using
less bark and filler and more orchid rock in the mix as it tends to
spare on the break-down and the need to constantly repot.

Old 04-12-2005, 05:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Mick Fournier

Pam,

I am giving Aussie a second chance. I have added to the Aussie bag mix more
of the diatomic rock and Aliflor. I am thinking that for Florida this might
be the better mix especially for my Phals.

Mick

k.net...