Old 28-11-2004, 08:00 PM
H Playel

"Ray" skrev i meddelandet
I am aware that native tolumnias occasionally get a sea mist treatment,

but
I believe that they have evolved some sort of mechanism to defend

themselves
from the ionic imbalance the Na+ and Cl- might cause, if absorbed.

If I remember correctly, there was an old AOS article precisely about

that.

.
"bb" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 18:42:31 -0500, "Ray"
wrote:

I believe that if you mist or water with sea water, the NaCl will kill

the
plants.

Well then, I suspect someone has been misting my plants with sea water
without my knowledge. I assume it's only with the best of intentions,
though.

bb

I'd love to read that article!
I'm going through my society's collection of old AOS magazines, do you, Ray
(or anyone else) perhaps have an inkling of which year it was published?

//H

Old 28-11-2004, 10:23 PM
profpam

My friends used to live in a harbor area and grew the most gorgeous Cymbidiums
on their boat dock. And, if you live on the ocean you will get drenched with
salty air droplets from time to time; therefore, I am under the assumption that
some salty air and drenching will not kill the cymbidiums. Perhaps, you need to
drench these from time to time with fresh water.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

H Playel wrote:

"Damage Control" skrev i meddelandet
m...
Has anyone heard of misting or watering cymbidiums with sea water? I
was told that cymbidiums are somewhat coastal, getting "salt air"
accompanied by the occasional typhoon and need periodic treatment of
"salty water" to maintain their vigor inland. I know that they can be
grown in the gulf states and California as outdoor plants, and as I've
seen, are absolutely gorgeous.

I haven't been able to verify the information, and wondered if anyone
in the group had heard of it, tried it, what concentration, and to
what success.

Any input would be appreciated.

No Cymbidium have ever thrived in my hands, so I can't say I have the
slightest idea what to do with them, but at least I can give some input on
using salt!

This spring I sprayed sal****er on a Tolumnia which had refused to bloom for
several years. I can't say if it was the spraying that did it, but it spiked
shortly after I begun the treatment. It has now stopped flowering, and the
plant is as healthy as ever. The man that recommended this treatment has a
great deal of experience with orchids, and said that Tolumnias in the wild
(where he had seen them) often were covered with a layer of dried salt, from
the salty winds from the sea.
I will continue to spray my Tolumnia with salt water now and then,
especially when the new growth has matured.
I have also contemplated spraying an equally stubborn Brassavola nodosa. I
have several divisions of that plant, so I'll know for sure if it is the
salt that does it, or if I just lucked out with the Tolumnia.

//H

Old 01-12-2004, 04:42 AM
orchids3

"Hi
In the 25 years of growing cymbidiums, I have never heard of putting salt
on the plants on purpose. Have grown in Carona Calif, Stratford Cn
and now in NE Florida. Just the salt from house hold water softeners will
kill plants. Some plants will tolerate some salt but areas I have been
where TDS (Total Disolved solids) are high in the water - religious flushing
rituals are carried out to keep the levels as low as possible. Santa Barbers
has TDS levels as high as 1800 PPM. MY TDS Levels here in Florida are
250 to 300 PPM depending on rainfall amounts - NA (Sodium) and Cl levels
increase in the local water supply when rainfall drops up to 18 PPM so a
small amount of salt is un avoidable but not really desireable. Epsom
salts in some quantity depending on you water tests may be good, but
certinly not table salt. Have you checked you water or acidity of what you put
on the plants - how about the acidity of you potting medium?

Playel" wrote in message ...
Addendum:
Maybe the salt is just what is needed to stress an otherwise healthy plant
into blooming? Or maybe (in cultivation) the salt helps dry out the medium
for species that crave a hastily drying compost? I'm thinking Tolumnias
here, of course, bat also the Schomburgkias mentioned earlier.

Maybe (but this is a stretch) the layer of salt prevents the plants from
being burnt by excessive light?

Theories... Never get enough light here up in the north anyway. Am certainly
not in the place to theorize about it

I am going to post a link to a pic of the Tolumnia as I need it identified,
if anyone is interested in seeing it.

//H

Old 01-12-2004, 09:46 PM
H Playel

Hello!
As I have stated, I have no experience of cymbidiums. I grow the Tolumnia in
a miniscule clay pot with just a few scraps of sphagnum. It has grown there
for at least 6 years. The threadstarter was looking for experiences with the
use of sal****er on orchids, Cymbidiums in particular. So I wrote about my
experiences with Tolumnia.

I water with RO-water with added MSU mixed with aquarium water pH app.
6.5-7.5 (80/20) (last two years w/ MSU, before that standard 20-20-20). As I
am not american/english I don't know about the difference between Epsom salt
and table salt. I use sea salt without additives, combined with my evil tap
water (kH 16, pH 8). I have no means of measuring TDS-values, unfortunately.
A couple of years with the same treatment, and I will be able to determine
if the salt really is a benefit in growing Tolumnias, or if the variable in
cultivation that made my plant thrive was something else. Not preaching any
gospel here, just experimenting.

Using water treated with water softener would be madness! Take away the good
salts and replace them with sodium! Soon they are going to soften the water
centrally in this city, so I'm really glad I have my RO-unit. Gonna miss all
that Ca and Mg, though.

Thanks for your input! I realise I wasn't very clear in my first posts.

//H

m...

Old 02-12-2004, 08:12 AM
Reka

Epsom salts is magnesium sulfate, if I remember correctly.

--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

Old 03-12-2004, 11:04 PM

(orchids3) wrote in message om...
[...]

It is time to repot. Intended on doing so last spring, got the mix,
pots, etc. then broke my ankle. Somehow dividing and repotting a
bunch cyms sort of hit a new low in priorities about the same time.

They are still alive, and our autumn season was gradually cooler than
the abrupt cold we got last year, so some of my hardier unknown cyms
are putting on spikes again. When I say hardier, I've got one type
that requires temps from the upper 20's to the lower 30's, some of the
nicest blooms was from a season when it actually got down to about 26
F. The folliage got nipped and the plant looked pretty rough for a
while, but recovered during the next growing season. I boght that one
from a member of the orchid society I attended. They thought a tag
was in the bottom of the pot, oops guess again, but it was reasonably
priced.

One other initiates spikes with temps in the upper 30's to lower 40's.
Blooms are similar in appearance, (chartreuse, yellow with red on
lip). Folliage, too, both are tall but the warmer seems to have
tighter bulbs with stronger blades. Cold requirements are obvious, in
that the warmer one will develop spikes while the other on is just
sitting and waiting for colder temps. The wamer one I bought at a
consignment/thrift store. No name, but was very inexpensive. The
staff thought $5 was a little too high for yucca or day lilly.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:04 PM

[...]

Sea Shepherd News Japan Acknowledges Sea Shepherd’s Defense of the Whales Holly United Kingdom 1 17-04-2008 05:30 PM
Sea Shepherd Announces: Seal Defense Campaign 2008! Sea ShepherdCrew to Shift from the Southern Ice to the Northern Ice [email protected] United Kingdom 1 06-04-2008 09:41 AM
OT sea to shining sea KenCo Ponds 0 21-11-2003 04:13 AM
Warm Tolerant Cymbidiums [email protected] Orchids 6 27-03-2003 06:44 AM