Old 19-11-2004, 02:42 AM
Shell

Default A Spike on my Sophronitis and Two Sheaths on my Catt

I think there's a flower spike forming on my tiny Sophronitis cernua woo
hoo It's about a 3/4 inch long right now. Transplanting to the small
ceramic pot can wait I think.

And there are 2 sheaths on my Lc Gold Digger x Ctna Why Not Any advice
on seeing these through to blooming? It's getting a lot of light and a good
watering once a week. Should I fertilze it or just leave it alone and hope
for the best? I havent had the best luck with any kind of Catt before,
usually the sheath just sort of fizzles. I really really want this to bloom

Shell

---

Old 19-11-2004, 03:15 PM
Rob Halgren

Shell wrote:

I think there's a flower spike forming on my tiny Sophronitis cernua woo
hoo It's about a 3/4 inch long right now. Transplanting to the small
ceramic pot can wait I think.

And there are 2 sheaths on my Lc Gold Digger x Ctna Why Not Any advice
on seeing these through to blooming? It's getting a lot of light and a good
watering once a week. Should I fertilze it or just leave it alone and hope
for the best? I havent had the best luck with any kind of Catt before,
usually the sheath just sort of fizzles. I really really want this to bloom

Just treat it like you have been. I think most bud blasting and
other failures occur because people start messing around trying to
pamper the plants. Avoid drafts, no apples (No, really - no apples, or
bananas either, in the same room). Should be fine.

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open - e-mail me for a list )

Old 19-11-2004, 09:17 PM
Claude

Hello!

Apple and bananas and other fruit rippening secrete ethylene, gaz who will
cause the flower to wilt !
So, no fruit near orchids! It`s a no-no!

Claude

om...

Old 19-11-2004, 09:48 PM
Rob Halgren

Claude wrote:

Hello!

Apple and bananas and other fruit rippening secrete ethylene, gaz who will
cause the flower to wilt !
So, no fruit near orchids! It`s a no-no!

And in case you are wondering _why_ apples and bananas (and some
other, but not all, fruits) give off ethylene, it is an evolutionary
adaptation. Ethylene is a ripening hormone (and a gas). So, one ripe
apple on the tree emits a little ethylene, which ripens a few other
apples, which emit a little more ethylene... Pretty soon (very soon)
the whole tree is ripe at the same time. A lot of ripe fruit attracts
the critters that eat the fruit better than a few ripe fruits. So,
ripening en masse is selected for, as these trees are more likely to
have progeny dispersed away from the parent tree.

People have actually selected for this trait in apples - you want a
tree that ripens its fruit all at the same time, makes it easier to pick
in a commercial orchard. Of course you also want to vent off the
ethylene (or inhibit its production) in the picked fruit - as that would
cause the fruit to over-ripen in storage and get mushy. That is why
there is a whole lot of science devoted to figuring out how to store
apples properly.

Problem with apples and orchids is that ethylene induces senescence
in orchids - the flowers mature all the way, and die.

Science is fun!

Rob

Old 20-11-2004, 11:57 AM
Shell

Ah, Okay Interesting. Learn something new every day

Thanks

Claude wrote:

[...]

to let spike or not to let spike? J Fortuna Orchids 15 05-12-2005 03:38 AM
Cattleya Flower Sheaths Wither - Why ? Brian Corll Orchids 4 09-01-2005 10:11 PM
Cattleya Flower Sheaths Wither - Why ? Brian Corll Orchids 2 26-12-2004 01:29 PM
spike spike spike J Fortuna Orchids 2 04-09-2004 06:43 PM
blind sheaths Diane Mancino Orchids 5 29-05-2003 05:22 AM