Old 20-11-2004, 01:49 PM
Larry

Default shelves

Hello. I live in Northeast Florida (Jacksonville). Most of my orchids are
outside in the screened-in porch or hanging outside in trees. In past years
I have moved the plants indoors during the colder days. I was hoping to buy
some sort of shelving this year so they can be kept outside.

I looked at some places advertised in Orchids, such as
http://www.indoorgardensupplies.com or others. I was wondering if anyone had
any general suggestions. I'd like one that can be covered, has light, and
can be warm enough so I do not have to bring plants indoors when it is cold
outside. I'd also like to be able to plan for the future if possible and
allow for some expansion, including adding the ability to water the plants
automatically (I am not sure if this possibility exists with this set up).

Any general or specific recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Larry

Old 20-11-2004, 02:41 PM
doug houseman

I built my own shelves -

I used 5 step boards for making steps into and out of a house. I turned
them so the wide side of the step was up (which gives me 10 inches of
shelf). [5]

I used a 6 foot 2x4 on the back and front of the boards with screws.
(see diagram) - normally I put the 2x4's flat (wide side against the
step board) [6]

I use a 4 foot 2x4 as a base again flat against the step board and the 2
6-foot 2x4's and do the same thing on the top.... [4]

This gives me a frame that looks like this ascii picture.

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
3 3 3
4444444444444
6 6
6 6
6 6
6 55 6
6 55 6
6 55 6
6 55 6
6 3 3 556
44444444444 6

I use cedar 2x6's for the top 4 shelves (2 each) and a 2x6 and a 2x4 for
the bottom shelf. I have found that if I turn them (the shelf board)
over twice a year, they last for 8 to 10 years.

I use 3 frames to make an 8 foot run with 1 foot of shelf board
overhanging each end (e.g. 1 foot of shelf - a frame - 3 feet of shelf -
a frame - 3 feet of shelf - a frame - o1 foot of shelf)

I use 1x3 to hold the frames in place....one at each corner on the
bottom and 3 across the top [3]

To keep the stability I put 2 1x2's from the outside frame's corner
bottom to the middle frame's top to give me cross bracing...(if you are
going to use 1x2 - pre-drill the screw holes - so the boards do not
crack).

Because my orchids do not like my full Michigan summer sun -

I use white plastic lattice across the top [L].

When it is cold - I can take a standard 16 x 20 foot tarp and drape the
whole shelf - I normally work it down the back of my shelf in the late
summer - and secure it to the back and then roll it back and use a bit
of duct tape to hold it out of the way until I need it. Because I have
2x4's for verticals - I can use 3/4 inch drywall screws and fender
washers to secure the tarp if I need it.

A small electric heater (I use heat lamps under the shelves) will keep
things toasty.

I mount a drip irrigation system in the unit when I am done, so all I
have to do is turn on the water to do cooling or watering.

If anyone is interested I can provide more info.

My frames move from the front of the house to the greenhouse and back
each year. The oldest frames are 10 years old now.

I like the step boards because they let me see all the plants and get a
feel for conditions. The center 3 boards can be used for very low light
plants by putting Cym on both the top and bottom shelves...the center of
the frame is perfect for low light paphs or other low light plants.

Hope this helps.

Doug

I can then

Old 21-11-2004, 03:43 PM
Larry

Thanks for the info! Maybe you can send me more info (maybe hard copies of
your plans) via email?
Larry

"doug houseman" wrote in message
[...]

Is It Wise to Mortar Pebbles onto Shelves? Davy Ponds 1 10-09-2006 10:56 PM
Pond Shelves - Recommendations Please? Davy Ponds 12 02-08-2006 02:07 PM
Pond Shelves - 2nd Question Davy Ponds 5 31-07-2006 07:09 PM
Pond Shelves - Recommendations Please? Wëndãlen Gardening 0 30-07-2006 05:18 AM
Plant shelves Joan Ponds 16 22-04-2006 05:42 PM