Old 21-11-2004, 05:41 PM
James Aldridge

Default boisduval scale

Any new wisdom on boisduval scale on cattleyas? I've read that
acephate (Orthene), kinoprene (Enstar II), and imidacloprid (Merit)
are all pretty effective administered in 2-3 treatments several weeks
apart.

Any suggestions for timing as to season or treament interval would
also be useful.

Thanks.

Jim
James Aldridge - Fort Worth, Texas, USA
www.JamesAldridge.com -
Old 21-11-2004, 05:47 PM
Ray

Jim,

I use a multi-prong approach:

Step 1: Orthene WP.
Step 2: Enstar II AND neem oil together, along with soap to emulsify the
oil.
Step 3: Repeat step 2 at the label-specified Enstar II dosage and frequency
for two more treatments.

The Orthene has an immediate knock-down effect, plus systemic action. The
soap is also a contact killer, to some degree, and the wetting it does aids
in the contact by the other chemicals. The Enstar II prevents any remaining
bugs from maturing, hence reproducing. The neem oil discourages the insects
from traveling to other plants.

..

Old 22-11-2004, 05:01 AM
James Aldridge

Ray,

Thanks for the concise answer. Your reasoning sounds good. Do you
happen to know anything about the shelf life of neem oil; I have some,
but it's been around awhile.

Also, could you float me a loan to pay for that Enstar II?

:-/

Jim

Old 22-11-2004, 10:41 AM
Ray

If it's been kept in the dark and cool, several of years is not supposed to
be out of the question.

Sorry, the loan is out, unless I charge exorbitant interest.

Don't fret. It may be a hefty up-front investment, but that 5-oz bottle
goes a long way.

..

Old 22-11-2004, 03:14 PM
wendy7

Hi Jim, Ray's program sounds like an excellent one. (A killer!!)
Be sure to follow the Enstar instructions exactly as there are two
regimens. Preventative & Curative.
I used Mavrik Aquaflow with EnstarII as recommended by the site.See below.
(My wallet is empty!!) I am on my 2nd bottle of Enstar.

I had a bad infestation of Soft Scale & Mealies, too many plants,
too close together. After a year, I still see the odd breakout of
babies!!! They are harder to find.
I am going to do the dip method & repot like crazy & this should
do the trick.

http://www.mavrikaquaflow.com/pdf/Enstar_Spec_label.pdf

http://www.mavrikaquaflow.com/prod_app_m.html#

Good luck.
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 25-12-2004, 11:38 PM
B. Murray Tucker, Jr.

CYGON also works very well. You need to catch the crawlers as they hatch.
Try every five days three times,then every month.

Old 26-12-2004, 06:05 PM
Kenni Judd

Regardless of whether you use acephate, Cygon, or something else, several
weeks is too long to go between treatments if you have an active
infestation. The interval should be more like 5-7 days.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Old 26-12-2004, 06:05 PM
Kenni Judd

[...]

The Definitive Chord & Scale Bible - Literally EVERY chord and scale! Dances_With_Ferrets Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 09-02-2005 03:33 AM
Suggestions on large-scale compost-making??? Joe Jamies Gardening 3 17-03-2003 03:20 PM
[IBC] Pest Management. Was [IBC] Scale Help Jerry Meislik Bonsai 0 10-03-2003 04:56 PM
Scale SamMan Orchids 3 03-03-2003 09:53 PM
[IBC] Scale Ben Griffin Bonsai 0 31-01-2003 05:16 PM