Old 21-11-2004, 10:56 PM
David Sussman

Default ** Vanda Orchid Problem ??? **

See Vanda:
http://www.consumergroup.com/vanda.html

1.) I think something bad may be happening to my Vanda plant. It has
been a bit underwatered lately but I have a feeling that the blackish
coloration in the yellower leaves may be something worse like a
fungus. So far it has only been that the bottom most leaves have been
yellowing. I have been giving it more water. If this is a fungus, do
you think the plant can still be saved?

2.) If so, what should I use to treat it? It is currently spiking and
I really hope that this is not going to kill it.

3.) How important is it for a Vanda to have leaves near the base of
the roots? This one has been loosing them around there (I broke a few
off).

I greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks,

-David
Old 21-11-2004, 11:53 PM
Ray

The plant looks pretty healthy to, and the loss of lower leaves is nothing
to worry about.

In very old plants, they're a veritable "Palm Tree" in appearance.

..
om...

Old 22-11-2004, 10:39 PM
Diana Kulaga

Hi, David,

I agree with Ray that the plant looks largely healthy. But take a look at
the shorter 'wing span' of the lower leaves as compared to the higher ones.
It appears that the plant was not receiving enough water and nutrients, but
you can see the difference in the newer growth. Seems you might have
remedied your problem already. As far as the black spots, if you think it's
fungal (and that includes ordinary mold), spray with some alcohol infused
with cinnamon (see Ray's web site for that remedy) or any commercial
fungicide. If I have more than a little fungus, as I did after our
hurricanes, I use Physan.

HTH

Diana

Old 23-11-2004, 02:48 AM
schusteroni

I wouldn't worry. I have several vandaceous plants, and some of them
habitually lose their bottom leaves after turning yellow, then brown.
Then the bottom of the stem turns brown, almost like bark. They are
certainly not suffering though. In fact, they do better than the less
mature plants, blooming 2 or 3 times a year. Good luck!

Old 23-11-2004, 12:46 PM
William Hill

(David Sussman) wrote in message . com...
See Vanda:
http://www.consumergroup.com/vanda.html

1.) I think something bad may be happening to my Vanda plant. It has
been a bit underwatered lately but I have a feeling that the blackish
coloration in the yellower leaves may be something worse like a
fungus. So far it has only been that the bottom most leaves have been
yellowing. I have been giving it more water. If this is a fungus, do
you think the plant can still be saved?

2.) If so, what should I use to treat it? It is currently spiking and
I really hope that this is not going to kill it.

3.) How important is it for a Vanda to have leaves near the base of
the roots? This one has been loosing them around there (I broke a few
off).

I greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks,

-David

Hi David, Most "palm tree effect" in Vandas is caused by allowing the
plants to go below 50 degrees / or / underwatering. If you want plants
to retain all leaves they must be kept warmer than 50 & well-watered.
I am surprised Kenni has not rung in on this one as she grows
beautiful Vandas. There is nothing wrong with "palm trees" except the
appearance, but for commercial growers it is important to maintain all
leaves for "salable plants". Good Luck, Bill
Old 23-11-2004, 06:06 PM
Kenni Judd

David -- Losing one or two bottom leaves per year is relatively normal.
However, I would like to see a closeup of a leaf one or two up from those
that have completely yellowed or browned, if any of these have the black
markings, before saying anything about fungus. You can email it to me
directly, if that's easier, or post a new link.

of food, keep it warm; and the diagnosis that whatever happened to stress
the plant, happened some time ago, also appears accurate to me. Good
growing,

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

[...]

Help My Vanda Orchid Poorly Scotkat Orchids 7 08-05-2011 06:51 AM
Vanda - orchid Wendy7 Garden Photos 0 16-03-2010 03:34 AM
POE 2007 - Vanda Rothschildiana - dusty blue tesselated vanda Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 1 28-02-2007 12:50 PM
POE 2007 - Vanda Pakchong Blue 'Devera' - deep blue LARGE vanda Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 0 28-02-2007 05:19 AM
Vanda Orchid spiking problem?? [email protected] Orchids 7 08-12-2004 10:15 PM