Old 22-11-2004, 01:50 PM
prem_s

Default A cute miniatu Pelatantheria ctenoglossa

I purchased this plant many years ago at a garden festival in West Palm
Beach. Sitting on this table amongst a number of Tillandsias were these
little cuttings of some type of vandaceous plant for $4 each. The label
said Pelatantheria ctenoglossa on the card beneath them.

Having never even heard of this genus, let alone species, I decided I
had to try growing this plant and see what became of it. Over the
years, it lengthened and produced many side branches. For the last four
years, it has flowered, producing short racemes bearing one to three
flowers on each. The flowers are about a half-inch (1.2 cm) across,
occur in the late autumn, and have a mild fragrance like an uncorked
bottle of vanilla extract. The leaves of the plant are about an inch
long (2.5 cm) on very slender growths.

I grow it bright and warm with frequent moisture, mounted on a piece of
tree bark I obtained on that trip.

http://www.premdesign.com/orchidpics...tenoglossa.jpg

--
---Prem
Orchid art, photography, t-shirts, and related products:

Old 25-11-2004, 06:57 AM
Inca

Prem

Thanks for the link to the photo.

Like you, I had never heard of this species (or genus for that matter) until
I found a piece for sale at a local orchid meeting.

That was 8 years ago and it has yet to flower. It is growing on a piece of
tree fern, high up in the glasshouse. It is growing beautifully with many
new growths and roots but unfortunately no flowers yet. It is definitely
looking healthy.

Judging from your growing conditions mine are very similar. What you didn't
mention was what season (month) your plant flowers. From your web page, I
gather you live in Florida which is definitely more humid than Melbourne,
Australia where I live.

Also, how many flowers do you get to a raceme and how long do the flowers
last?

I live in hope that I will get flowers this season!!

Cheers

John

"prem_s" wrote in message
I purchased this plant many years ago at a garden festival in West Palm
Beach. Sitting on this table amongst a number of Tillandsias were these
little cuttings of some type of vandaceous plant for $4 each. The label
said on the card beneath them.

Old 26-11-2004, 11:06 PM
Inca

Hi Phil

I will reply directly to arrange exchange.

Cheers

John

"Phil Diamond" wrote in message
You may find it easier to grow Pelatantheria insectifera, which is not
uncommon up here in Brisbane. In fact, if you contact me by e-mail, I'll
send you a piece. Hopefully, you can find a spare bit of P. ctenoglossa
to send back to me!

Cordially, Phil
--
Dr Phil Diamond

Borneo: Bulbophyllum ovalifolium - single flower - cute cute! Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 0 25-04-2007 04:33 PM
POE 2007 - Dryadella albicans - cute cute cute white mini pleuro Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 0 28-02-2007 05:11 AM
Cymbidium goeringii - cute cute miniature Cym Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 0 09-01-2007 06:03 AM
Pelatantheria ctenoglossa Dada Orchids 1 28-11-2004 06:41 AM
Pelatantheria ctenoglossa Dada Orchids 0 27-11-2004 04:01 PM