Old 30-11-2004, 04:38 PM
kenty ;-\)

Default Fan on 24 /7

Has anyone got any comments on running a fan in a greenhouse 24/7.Does this
have any cooling affect costing more to run the heater in winter or just
circulate the air inside the greenhouse?I am running a fan all the time at
the moment,to provided air movement and the atmosphere becoming stagnant
,possibly causing rots/infections etc.As the temps are cooler and humidity
higher.I only have a 10x8 greenhouse.

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

Old 30-11-2004, 05:13 PM
Rob Halgren

kenty ;-) wrote:

Has anyone got any comments on running a fan in a greenhouse 24/7.Does this
have any cooling affect costing more to run the heater in winter or just
circulate the air inside the greenhouse?I am running a fan all the time at
the moment,to provided air movement and the atmosphere becoming stagnant
,possibly causing rots/infections etc.As the temps are cooler and humidity
higher.I only have a 10x8 greenhouse.

I certainly think it is traditional to leave the fans on 24/7. And
a pretty good idea. It wouldn't have a real cooling effect in the
winter, I suspect it is going to have a net positive effect on your heat
bills by moving warm air off the ceiling and down to the floor.

Curiously (or maybe not), just last night I was wondering about the
wisdom of leaving all my fans on all the time. I have a lot of fans (8
big ones in a 1500sq ft greenhouse). I could probably keep air moving
with just a couple fans at night, and put the rest on timers. Then I
started thinking about condensation, and how a whole lot of air movement
probably keeps the cold water drips to a minimum, and wondered about
leaving them on all the time anyway... Needless to say, I'm still
wondering...

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open - e-mail me for a list )

Old 30-11-2004, 06:55 PM
Kenni Judd

We leave our small horizontal air flow fans on 24/7, but we do turn them
down a little slower in the cooler weather. The exhaust fans are on
thermostats and only come on when needed for cooling.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Old 01-12-2004, 12:22 PM
amatol

I tried leaving on the 5 small fans in my 12 x 12 greenhouse and there seems
to be so far less problems with molds, fungus and mildew so far. And I am
getting alot more spikes than this time last year. Dan

Old 01-12-2004, 05:26 PM
kenty ;-\)

It does make sense to leave them on,its just that they feel on the cool side
at night when you do the final checks,even though the temp doesn't go below
the set minimum.Mind you I bet they get windier conditions naturally.

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.