Old 01-12-2004, 07:07 PM
Susan Erickson

Default Naming question

Ok, it is getting to the end of the semester, I am getting
dumber, and today (after an eye exam) I can barely type.

So take pity on an old lady and tell me the proper name for this
new man made cross. Yes, I know it is not registered.

Chtra Angela Olvera x Rhy coelestis. I can not seem to find the
new group name Chtra x Rhy.

It is a pretty peach toned pink with a magenta lip. 3.5 cm
natural spread and a definite spur.
Similar to Vasco Pine Rivers (Pink) which might be a bit smaller
and more of a hot pink. I can see why this might be badly
compared to Vasco Pine Rivers. Although were it mine to do, I
would have registered it.
SuE
Old 01-12-2004, 07:56 PM
Al

Christieara, Chtra. (Aer. x Asctm. x V.)

so

Ronnyara Rnya. (Aer. x Asctm. x V. x Rhy)

i think :-) That would be on the final exam, wouldn't it?

Old 02-12-2004, 01:56 AM
Xi Wang

As Al pointed out:

Christieara, Chtra. (Aer. x Asctm. x V.)
Ronnyara Rnya. (Aer. x Asctm. x V. x Rhy)

So a cross of the two intergenerics would still only contain only Aer,
Asctm, V, and Rhy - nothing more and nothing less. So wouldn't Chtra. X
Rnya. still be Rnya.? Similar to how Dtps. X Phal. is still considered
Dtps?

Cheers,
Xi
Old 02-12-2004, 02:36 AM
Al

Yes, the man-made genera always resolve back to the natural genera in their
makeup when determining the new genera name. It doesn't matter how you mix
the four natural genera in a Ronnyara or how many times species from any of
these four genera are used, if all four are present in a plant's registered
background, then it is a Ronnyara.

If you ever hear the term "nothogenera", it means man-made or artificial
genera. It's new. It's exciting. People are using it! ...Well, one out
of three aint bad.

As Al pointed out:

Old 02-12-2004, 02:44 AM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 20:36:36 -0500, "Al" wrote:

Yes, the man-made genera always resolve back to the natural genera in their
makeup when determining the new genera name. It doesn't matter how you mix
the four natural genera in a Ronnyara or how many times species from any of
these four genera are used, if all four are present in a plant's registered
background, then it is a Ronnyara.

If you ever hear the term "nothogenera", it means man-made or artificial
genera. It's new. It's exciting. People are using it! ...Well, one out
of three aint bad.

Thanks Al. Now I have to get John to take the pix so I can post
it on ABPO. I already knocked one anther cap off looking at it
today. Should have done nothing, I still can not focus right and
the dilation was at 8 this morning.
SuE
Old 02-12-2004, 02:44 AM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 20:36:36 -0500, "Al" wrote:

Yes, the man-made genera always resolve back to the natural genera in their
makeup when determining the new genera name. It doesn't matter how you mix
the four natural genera in a Ronnyara or how many times species from any of
these four genera are used, if all four are present in a plant's registered
background, then it is a Ronnyara.

If you ever hear the term "nothogenera", it means man-made or artificial
genera. It's new. It's exciting. People are using it! ...Well, one out
of three aint bad.

Thanks Al. Now I have to get John to take the pix so I can post
it on ABPO. I already knocked one anther cap off looking at it
today. Should have done nothing, I still can not focus right and
the dilation was at 8 this morning.
SuE

Plant naming question Pat United Kingdom 32 13-11-2005 01:48 PM
Naming question Susan Erickson Orchids 0 01-12-2004 07:07 PM
Phal naming question Orchidlover Orchids 5 08-12-2003 11:42 AM
Help naming Oncidium? Jay von Lehe Orchids 3 25-08-2003 12:12 AM
[IBC] naming styles Craig Cowing Bonsai 3 04-03-2003 04:39 PM