Old 08-12-2004, 05:03 PM
Registered User

Default Any root therapy?

Hello,
I am new to this forum, I live in Southern Spain, and the reason for me to register and intervene is to ask for some help regarding the following:
I have found two Cymbidium plants at a relative's house. They were pot planted into a heavily wet compost for normal plants (by then I knew that Orchids cannot stand normal compost and that they are potted in fir bark soils mixtures or similar). Therefore a have repotted them into an appropiate soil in two pots.
The two plants do not have flowers at the moment and are showing green well formed top to bottom leaves that seem to indicate that they are reletively healthy...but when it came for me to inspect the roots, I found out that , they were a complete disaster, specially in one of them: most of the roots destroyed, very white, and easy to break when they are simply touched. Is there any method to save this plants?
Old 09-12-2004, 04:04 AM
Steve

Cymbidiums can take a lot of abuse and still recover.
Pull off any roots that are soft and obviously dead. Hopefully there are
a few live roots left. It may not start growing new roots until it
starts growing new leaves. You are doing the right thing in repotting
them into the right kind of potting material.

Steve

Old 09-12-2004, 11:59 AM
Bob Walsh

caparozon,

With most orchids crisp white roots is good. Brown and soft is bad. I don't
keep cymbidiums but i'll guess they are the same.

What type of mix did you plant them in?

Bob

Old 09-12-2004, 05:48 PM
Steve

I've seen Cymbidium roots that were still what you could call white but
were completely dead and hollow. That's what I'm picturing.

Steve

Old 09-12-2004, 05:50 PM
Kenni Judd

You may wish to apply a rooting agent. I do not know what brand names would
be available in your area; around here, people generally use either
"Superthrive" or Dynagrow K-L-N. Do not overdo it -- one or two treatments
will either do the job or not; more will not help and might hurt. Good
luck,
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids
news:1102546930.92610d4354525cc295e8662fe66f9a4d@t eranews...

Old 09-12-2004, 08:20 PM
Susan Erickson

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 12:50:24 -0500, "Kenni Judd"
wrote:

You may wish to apply a rooting agent. I do not know what brand names would
be available in your area; around here, people generally use either
"Superthrive" or Dynagrow K-L-N. Do not overdo it -- one or two treatments
will either do the job or not; more will not help and might hurt. Good
luck,

Many of my Cym have white and some what brittle roots. Be
careful they do break fairly easily.

The root treatments are potent. Do not use more than twice and
no matter how small the directions say to use... THEY are
CORRECT. NO more. Kenni knows what she is talking about.
SuE

Old 09-12-2004, 09:18 PM
Registered User

70% Pine tree bark (no resine)
20% Perlite (Syntetic white little balls)
10 % typical vegetal compost (darkish)

Old 09-12-2004, 09:26 PM
Registered User

By the way, even though the roots were more of white than of dark colour, they were vanishing in pieces when I pressed them just a little bit: only a thin core, likely to be of no use, remained

Old 10-12-2004, 04:37 AM
Steve

Yes, those were dead. I hope you removed most of them.

Steve

Old 10-12-2004, 04:40 AM
Steve

caparazon wrote:

70% Pine tree bark (no resine)
20% Perlite (Syntetic white little balls)
10 % typical vegetal compost (darkish)

That should be good for Cymbidiums. Most orchids wouldn't want the
compost ingredient but I'm sure the Cymbidiums will do fine with that.

Steve

Old 10-12-2004, 07:57 PM
Registered User

Thank you to everyone.

I take note.
Would you keep them outside (minimum normal nights temperature here is 8-10 C) exposed to the fresh autum wind and direct morning sun (as they were when I found them) or would you put them inside (15 C at nights)?

Water Garden Therapy Wilmdale Ponds 12 27-06-2005 05:39 PM
Brand new herbal/complementary therapy newsletter to be launched shortly SAKARIA8 Ponds 1 07-05-2004 10:08 PM
Brand new herbal/complementary therapy newsletter to be launched shortly SAKARIA8 Orchids 0 07-05-2004 03:07 PM
Brand new herbal/complementary therapy newsletter to be launched shortly SAKARIA8 Roses 0 07-05-2004 03:06 PM
Brand new herbal/complementary therapy newsletter to be launched shortly SAKARIA8 Gardening 0 07-05-2004 03:05 PM