Old 10-12-2004, 10:36 AM
John DH

Default Abused Cymbidium

I have owned my one and only cymbidium for 2 1/2 years. It was in flower
when I bought it, and then nothing. 12 months ago I re-potted it using a
proprietary compost from my local garden centre. From February this year it
was totally ignored and left in my greenhouse as I was moving from
Derbyshire to Scotland, my neighbour occasionally dumping a bucket of water
on it when they had time. Late September I was reunited with the poor thing,
it had scorched leaves and looked like it was on deaths door. I almost gave
up, but new shoots soon appeared and two very healthy spikes have appeared
bearing 6 flowers on each. Amazing, I had until now cosseted the plant and
got nothing, then this year, total abuse, wow.

Cheers

John D

Old 10-12-2004, 03:51 PM
Steve

You wouldn't be the first to discover that pampering orchid plants isn't
necessarily the best way to get them to bloom. ;-)

Steve

Old 14-12-2004, 12:48 AM
Profpam

Hi John,

(Hope this isn't a repeat of a message I wrote earlier while subscribing
once again to the newsgroup after my ISP dissolved.)

You did not say whether or not it was a standard or miniature Cymbidium.
I grow just about all of my standard cymbidiums and hybrids outside
(temps vary from 15 - 110 degrees (Cover with sheets when temps get to
40 and below) here at the base of Big Bear and the San Andreas fault
here in California. In fact, for anyone who doubts this wierd weather we
had snow on our roof for two days a few weeks ago and now temps are in
the late 80's. So, there are a bunch of Cymbidiums that like it cold --
Cymbidium lowii is one of them and there there is a group of them that
like it hot -- ensifolium mixtures. So, I would look for the cooler
growing ones where you are at; cover when temps are in the freezing
range and provide protection of some sort as bringing them under the
eaves; etc.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://home.earthlink.net/~profpam/page3.html

P. S. We have moved from PE.NET to Earthlink.net. Never would have
guessed that a major newspaper would relinquish providing Internet
Service as we have had the same service for almost 10 years.

Hi John,

John DH wrote:

[...]

Poor lawn of an abused garden - Help! JustJo Lawns 5 11-04-2005 12:14 PM
Reviving an abused rose Ali Roses 2 14-05-2004 09:03 PM
lavender trumpet vine often abused for illegal recreational Pam Gardening 3 29-04-2003 06:44 PM
lavender trumpet vine often abused for illegal recreational activities???? animaux Gardening 6 28-04-2003 03:20 AM
lavender trumpet vine often abused for illegal recreational activities???? John Robertson Gardening 6 25-04-2003 05:08 AM