GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Vanda names update (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/87547-vanda-names-update.html)

K Barrett 10-12-2004 03:42 PM

Vanda names update

For those of you who are interested please note that the RHS orchid
registrar has approved naming 2 grexes based on the same cross, depending
solely on the color of one parent (coerulea, either blue or pink form)

V. Grove's Dream = V. Lumpini Red x V. coerulea Pink Flowered Group

V. Peregrina Lorenzo = V. Lumpini Red x V. coerulea Blue Flowered Group

This has occured before in orchid registration, so buyers and BREEDERS be
aware of which plant you are using in your program and label accordingly.

K Barrett

Susan Erickson 10-12-2004 04:41 PM

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 15:42:37 GMT, "K Barrett"
wrote:

For those of you who are interested please note that the RHS orchid
registrar has approved naming 2 grexes based on the same cross, depending
solely on the color of one parent (coerulea, either blue or pink form)

V. Grove's Dream = V. Lumpini Red x V. coerulea Pink Flowered Group

V. Peregrina Lorenzo = V. Lumpini Red x V. coerulea Blue Flowered Group

This has occured before in orchid registration, so buyers and BREEDERS be
aware of which plant you are using in your program and label accordingly.

K Barrett

As if there were not enough problems with people thinking that
Princess Mikasa, Pine Rivers or any of the other blue/pink set
could not be the alternate color.
SuE

tennis maynard 10-12-2004 07:50 PM

wrote:

For those of you who are interested please note that the RHS orchid
registrar has approved naming 2 grexes based on the same cross, depending
solely on the color of one parent (coerulea, either blue or pink form)

V. Grove's Dream = V. Lumpini Red x V. coerulea Pink Flowered Group

V. Peregrina Lorenzo = V. Lumpini Red x V. coerulea Blue Flowered Group

This has occured before in orchid registration, so buyers and BREEDERS be
aware of which plant you are using in your program and label accordingly.

K Barrett

How does he justify this if V. coerulea has not been split into two
different species? What's next: different names for Paph.maudiae
depending on whether it was made with coloratum, vinicolor, or album
parents??? That would, of course, require re-naming approximately 6,000
paph.hybrids. And, of course, a re-naming of all the milloins of plants
with Phrag. besseae in them based on whether it was the red or yellow
form used. Then, of course, the variations in Laelia purpurata are to be
considered. How many are there? Dozens?

K Barrett 10-12-2004 08:49 PM

wrote:

[...]

I have *no* idea why this is legitimate. I understand that something
similar happened years ago with the Paphs Monsieur de Corte and Madame de
Corte, but I have no idea what that was all about either. Maybe Rob Halgren
could fill us in on the paphs.

I posted this on the OGD, and maybe they'll stop talking politics long
enough to answer some of these questions, too, Tennis.

K Barrett

Dewitt 10-12-2004 10:15 PM

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 20:49:53 GMT, "K Barrett"
wrote:

I posted this on the OGD, and maybe they'll stop talking politics long
enough to answer some of these questions, too,

Don't hold your breath! :-)

Actually, I expect that there will be replies. The interesting thing
will be to see how long it takes the thread to turn into a political
discussion. (And whether someone will make a case for the US being to
blame for the problem.)

deg

K Barrett 11-12-2004 03:39 PM

wrote:

I posted this on the OGD, and maybe they'll stop talking politics long
enough to answer some of these questions, too,

Don't hold your breath! :-)

Actually, I expect that there will be replies. The interesting thing
will be to see how long it takes the thread to turn into a political
discussion. (And whether someone will make a case for the US being to
blame for the problem.)

deg

Ain't that the truth!, LOL!!